[SOLVED] Is my hard drive corrupted?

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Heyo
One of my hard drives is starting to act weird, I've noticed it when I went to delete a file and windows said it couldn't be done because the drive was set to read-only, I tried running a VN out of it and it said "A device which does not exist has been specified". I went into drive management and the drive was showing up as offline, I tried bringing it online again but it spit an unknown I/O error.

I restarted my computer and everything was back to normal, files were deleted and the game ran perfectly fine.
After that I've checked the power cable to make sure it wasn't loose and replaced the data cable just in case.

Crystal Disk Info says the drive is "Good" and shows no warnings except for UDMA CRC Error count that's 1 instead of 0, not sure how bad that is.

abqzaAK.png

The drive is 4 years old already, could these errors be the symptoms of a dying drive?

Solution
The disk itself seems completely fine. Maybe the single CRC error origins from a loose cable (pure speculation).

Also I notice you assigned the drive letter A - same as was reserved to floppy drives in good-old days, and maybe W10 have some twerks that cause issues for hdd that takes letter A or B (again pure speculation).
The disk itself seems completely fine. Maybe the single CRC error origins from a loose cable (pure speculation).

Also I notice you assigned the drive letter A - same as was reserved to floppy drives in good-old days, and maybe W10 have some twerks that cause issues for hdd that takes letter A or B (again pure speculation).

Reactions: carocuore
Solution

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
run chkdisk and see what info it returns and if it can fix any possible issues with the drive.
I did with the arguments /x /r /f and it turned out fine, no reallocated sectors or corrupted files

hmm idk, the letter A was there ever since I installed the OS and I've never experienced any issues

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Check your NTFS permissions, did UAC prompt you?

Run CMD as admin, and try deleting the files if you have future issues, I think its an NTFS permissions issue could be the culprit. Did you move these files from another drive or PC? if so you have t o take ownership first.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Check your NTFS permissions, did UAC prompt you?

Run CMD as admin, and try deleting the files if you have future issues, I think its an NTFS permissions issue could be the culprit. Did you move these files from another drive or PC? if so you have t o take ownership first.
The drive was on a different computer before but I formatted it.
So far nothing's happened and I'm using the drive as usual, I believe the cable was the problem