Question Is my hard drive good?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetFountain178

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021
The reason I'm worried is because I got my laptop (an Acer aspire 5) in December 2019. Then months later (June 2020), the hard drive died (complete with "no bootable device" when I rebooted from the BSOD that occurred) it failed again on August and since the laptop was still under warranty, they replaced the drive. Everyone assumed the failed drive was a manufacturing defect.

I've been using it since that month (but I took a long break from using the laptop, from March to October 2021, hopefully that didn't damage the drive) and it's working fine, but I fear it might fail on me sooner than later.

Here are some recordings I made of the sounds it makes. See if they're normal:
https://kapwi.ng/c/I8r2RfRBsI

I used CrystalDiskInfo and here's what I got:
https://ibb.co/TYZCbcD

I have yet to run Hard Disk Sentinel (although I may use it if it's reliable) and I never ran CHKDSK (it could take a really, really long time. I have no idea)

HDD model: WDC WD10SPZX-00Z10T0

I usually have my laptop sitting on a table and being used on the TV as an external monitor with an external mouse and keyboard. I haven't seen any problems with that yet, although I fear that dust might have built up a lot after months of being on a table, but I usually put the laptop on its bag after use.

I haven't seen any warnings of bad sectors or anything. Does putting the laptop to sleep while away from it do something to the hard drive? Especially when programs are open and maybe writing to it?

Sorry if it was too specific with too many questions. I'm just that worried lol

I do have backups of personal projects on the cloud though.

Forgot to mention: I baby my laptop like a GODDESS and try my absolute best to never drop it or even bump it in the slightest. I never move my laptop when it's on and even in sleep mode I worry a bit.

Last edited:

SweetFountain178

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021
I just leave my laptop on the table to avoid moving it around.
I close the lid when I'm not gonna use it for a few hours, letting it go to sleep mode and turn off the drive.
I'm backing up personal projects through the cloud.
I've excessively checked CrystalDiskInfo with no issues.

SweetFountain178

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021
If HD Tune shows everything as green and CrystalDiskInfo still shows healthy statuses, can I trust the drive?
If yes, I could use it until it eventually dies, with backups of course.
I also have the pictures folder synced with OneDrive.

USAFRet

Titan
I just leave my laptop on the table to avoid moving it around.
I close the lid when I'm not gonna use it for a few hours, letting it go to sleep mode and turn off the drive.
I'm backing up personal projects through the cloud.
I've excessively checked CrystalDiskInfo with no issues.
The dying Toshiba above has never been moved, never overheated, never abused.
It has sat in the NAS box, unmoved, since Day 1.
It is still dying.

Use yours until it dies.
Starting today, be prepared for that day.

The reason I'm worried is because I got my laptop (an Acer aspire 5) in December 2019. Then months later (June 2020), the hard drive died (complete with "no bootable device" when I rebooted from the BSOD that occurred) it failed again on August and since the laptop was still under warranty, they replaced the drive. Everyone assumed the failed drive was a manufacturing defect.

I've been using it since that month (but I took a long break from using the laptop, from March to October 2021, hopefully that didn't damage the drive) and it's working fine, but I fear it might fail on me sooner than later.

Here are some recordings I made of the sounds it makes. See if they're normal:
https://kapwi.ng/c/I8r2RfRBsI

I used CrystalDiskInfo and here's what I got:
https://ibb.co/TYZCbcD

I have yet to run Hard Disk Sentinel (although I may use it if it's reliable) and I never ran CHKDSK (it could take a really, really long time. I have no idea)

HDD model: WDC WD10SPZX-00Z10T0

I usually have my laptop sitting on a table and being used on the TV as an external monitor with an external mouse and keyboard. I haven't seen any problems with that yet, although I fear that dust might have built up a lot after months of being on a table, but I usually put the laptop on its bag after use.

I haven't seen any warnings of bad sectors or anything. Does putting the laptop to sleep while away from it do something to the hard drive? Especially when programs are open and maybe writing to it?

Sorry if it was too specific with too many questions. I'm just that worried lol

I do have backups of personal projects on the cloud though.

Forgot to mention: I baby my laptop like a GODDESS and try my absolute best to never drop it or even bump it in the slightest. I never move my laptop when it's on and even in sleep mode I worry a bit.
CDI is not showing a problem with the hdd.
Disk fail that's a fact of life so prepare for that.
Hdd's do not run whisper quiet.

Reactions: SweetFountain178

SweetFountain178

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021
How much dust will it build up? I normally use it all day and put it on the bag after use. I was planning on using a cooling pad, but I don't know if it would help a lot (after cleaning the pad of course)

SweetFountain178

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021
Disk fail that's a fact of life so prepare for that.
I don't remember hearing audible HDD rattles on other laptops before, but I guess it's just because I wasn't paying attention.
Now that I do, I can hear the rattles of my mom's laptop and my sister's too.
Not my brother's gaming PC though, but I think it's just because it's a secondary drive for data (the main one on that PC is an SSD)
Trust me, I've been readying myself for future proofing backups ever since that original drive failed :)
From what I know, hard drives are like real people: one person could live well over a hundred years, while another could die a month after birth. And like hard drives, everyone dies eventually, sometimes because of a sickness, sometimes because of old age, and sometimes just without warning.
Seeing as the replacement HDD managed to survive some 8 months sitting on a table while running and being turned off every day after use, I'm confident it will live on for some years, but of course you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.