Question Is my hardware this bad for games, or am I going crazy ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 22, 2020
Hi, recently I had some problems with my computer.
Almost all games that I play, have low fps. I mean, they are not that low, but I can clearly see them dropping.
Like, even the games that I am 100% sure that my hardware is going to handle, are not performing good enough.
It got me thinking, am I doing something wrong system/options wise, or is my hardware not so good enough anymore.
Like, for example in horizon zero dawn, when I move my camera, the lags almost give me a headache, but fps says otherwise.
Just the other day, I have bought Days Gone, and finally I could almost say that it performs well (it's a new game, so I was happy) but no ... still setting it to very high is too laggy, and when I look in the distance (lot of stuff to render) or when I am in a small city there are lags.
I have read some of the comments about lags in Days Gone, and to my surprise most of the hardware these guys had are very very expensive.
And I thought, I had a good setup.
They were using stuff like : rtx3070, 3080 rtx.
I have heared that people were complaining that all the computer components are very expensive, and can't afford them.
But it seems, that a lot of folks are using beast hardware, that in my country is really not affordable ( 1 605 $ or 2 2041 $ when transfering it to my currency (PLN) ).
Also, the thing I don't undertand, why are all the gpu's and cpu's so hard to buy.
I mean, when going into my country's most popular site, I can find some used ones, or some sold by a few shops, but it almost seems like they are not producing them anymore (even when clearly ther are) and it's hard to find them in a large quantity
Is it just a Polish thing ?
Anyway, my question is (cause it's driving me mad) is it possible that my PC is wrongly configured (like my monitor, or my graphic card, cpu etc.) or am I just hoping to get better performance than my (possibly not good enough for today's games) computer is capable of achiving ?
(sorry for bad english) thanks :)
Here are my specs :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8- core processor
GPU : AMD Radeon RX 5700 XTRam : 16 gb ( Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 C15 BK DC - 16GB)
Operating system : Windows 10 x64
Monitor : Gigabyte g32qc (165hz = can display 165 fps which I almost never see in games, or when I use amd fps counter, the (let's say) 60fps or 70fps when lowest, absolutely never feels like it)
Motherboard : B450M DS3H

Oct 22, 2020
That is the difference between AVERAGE fps and 1% LOW.

You may have high FPS 99% of the time but those 1% are enough to ruin your day when they get bad enough.

Do you still get a low memory score on UBM after enabling XMP? You may need to manually select the profile if you haven't done so already.
My score went up really high, after I enabled xmp. I don't think that Days Gone performs better, but tony hawk pro skater 1 2 is working really well. Still, It must depend on a game. Maybe my computer is not enough to run days gone without anny issue.

InvalidError

Titan
My score went up really high, after I enabled xmp. I don't think that Days Gone performs better, but tony hawk pro skater 1 2 is working really well. Still, It must depend on a game. Maybe my computer is not enough to run days gone without anny issue.
All games have their own quirks.

If fixing the XMP profile fixed your UM scores and most games are working fine now, the next thing to do is look into how widespread random performance issues are with those that still give you trouble to determine whether this is a known issue more than anything related to your system.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzens start throttling back to control temps on a per core basis starting at just 60°C. So if you are in the 90's you are losing a lot of performance.

Id strongly suggest you look into Dram Calculator from guru3d.com (you'll also want Typhoon Burner) and Clocktuner2. Between the two of them (DC is ram tuning settings, best to make a profile in bios to save them all) they'll boost you performance somewhat Alot, as well as bringing your temps considerably lower.

On my 3700x, even with liquid cooling, it hits into the 80's, but running the two of them I hit a max of 62°C, and get 4.2GHz all core, up from 3.7GHz. Read the instructions thoroughly, it's somewhat advanced, but we'll worth the time spent.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Looked at that Userbenchmark link and it says you run an old bios so

BIOS Date20190722

would be good to update that. Don't think they have mentioned this yet.

Looking at the date for the current bios do you run F41, so it likely is okay to jump to the latest . But best is to check on your bios which nr you run before just flashing the latest bios to make sure nothing goes wrong.

Hwinfo also shows which bios you run in the "system summary" which is the top window that opens if you do not check anything when opening it, think you might even be able to check "system summary" when opening hwinfo, will also work of course.

Think btw that 94C is too hot for the gpu.

Don't think this is the right psu for the job btw with such a gpu,

I am using a thermaltake smart se 630w power supply.
just as a side note.

alexbirdie

Respectable
May be, I overlooked if already posted, but your memory is running at 2133 Mhz. That means, no XMP enabled or not working. Might be, that you have to enter the RAM-speed and IF-speed manually, too ( after enabling XMP, if still 2133 Mhz).

Current Memory Clock: 1064.7 MHz
Current Timing (tCAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS): 15-15-15-36

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB-€88

490,786 User benchmarks, average bench 83%

2 of 4 slots used

16GB DIMM DDR4 clocked @ 2133 MHz

Performing below potential (15th percentile) - ensure that a dual+ channel XMP BIOS profile is enabled: How to enable XMP

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Which GPU temp is that? Is that the Memory or the Core? That high temps, I would want to get em lower. Have you tried undervolting? Adjusted fan curve? Better cooling inside the case?
My case has a metal sidedoor. I made a hole for a 120mm fan there, right next to GPU. It blows in on the GPU. At the time I had an AMD 290X. That sidedoor fan dropped the temps by 5-10 C on GPU. So that could be one option as well.

TRENDING THREADS