Question Is my hardware this bad for games, or am I going crazy ?

Oct 22, 2020
Hi, recently I had some problems with my computer.
Almost all games that I play, have low fps. I mean, they are not that low, but I can clearly see them dropping.
Like, even the games that I am 100% sure that my hardware is going to handle, are not performing good enough.
It got me thinking, am I doing something wrong system/options wise, or is my hardware not so good enough anymore.
Like, for example in horizon zero dawn, when I move my camera, the lags almost give me a headache, but fps says otherwise.
Just the other day, I have bought Days Gone, and finally I could almost say that it performs well (it's a new game, so I was happy) but no ... still setting it to very high is too laggy, and when I look in the distance (lot of stuff to render) or when I am in a small city there are lags.
I have read some of the comments about lags in Days Gone, and to my surprise most of the hardware these guys had are very very expensive.
And I thought, I had a good setup.
They were using stuff like : rtx3070, 3080 rtx.
I have heared that people were complaining that all the computer components are very expensive, and can't afford them.
But it seems, that a lot of folks are using beast hardware, that in my country is really not affordable ( 1 605 $ or 2 2041 $ when transfering it to my currency (PLN) ).
Also, the thing I don't undertand, why are all the gpu's and cpu's so hard to buy.
I mean, when going into my country's most popular site, I can find some used ones, or some sold by a few shops, but it almost seems like they are not producing them anymore (even when clearly ther are) and it's hard to find them in a large quantity
Is it just a Polish thing ?
Anyway, my question is (cause it's driving me mad) is it possible that my PC is wrongly configured (like my monitor, or my graphic card, cpu etc.) or am I just hoping to get better performance than my (possibly not good enough for today's games) computer is capable of achiving ?
(sorry for bad english) thanks :)
Here are my specs :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8- core processor
GPU : AMD Radeon RX 5700 XTRam : 16 gb ( Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 C15 BK DC - 16GB)
Operating system : Windows 10 x64
Monitor : Gigabyte g32qc (165hz = can display 165 fps which I almost never see in games, or when I use amd fps counter, the (let's say) 60fps or 70fps when lowest, absolutely never feels like it)
Motherboard : B450M DS3H

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Can you run userbenchmark and post a link to your result on here please?
Userbenchmark is by no means a proper way of measuring the performance of a computer. Please stop recommending it.
RealBench, Superposition, 3DMark and Neon Noir (RT) are proper benchmarks.

OP your hardware is capable to run most games, not so sure about Days Gone as you've mentioned is new, so it's probably the drivers aren't optimised for it just yet or that the game is poorly -or not- optimised.

Also what's your power supply? and temperatures? you can measure them using HWinfo, it's freeware.

Userbenchmark is by no means a proper way of measuring the performance of a computer. Please stop recommending it.

OP your hardware is capable to run most games, not so sure about Days Gone as you've mentioned is new, so it's probably the drivers aren't optimised for it just yet or that the game is poorly -or not- optimised.

Also what's your power supply? and temperatures? you can measure them using HWinfo, it's freeware.
Its not about using it for a comparative benchmark, in that regards I know it's next to useless. However, as a way of narrowing down some common issues, it's not a bad tool as a basic diagnostic.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Hi, recently I had some problems with my computer.
Almost all games that I play, have low fps. I mean, they are not that low, but I can clearly see them dropping.
Like, even the games that I am 100% sure that my hardware is going to handle, are not performing good enough.
It got me thinking, am I doing something wrong system/options wise, or is my hardware not so good enough anymore.
Like, for example in horizon zero dawn, when I move my camera, the lags almost give me a headache, but fps says otherwise.
Just the other day, I have bought Days Gone, and finally I could almost say that it performs well (it's a new game, so I was happy) but no ... still setting it to very high is too laggy, and when I look in the distance (lot of stuff to render) or when I am in a small city there are lags.
I have read some of the comments about lags in Days Gone, and to my surprise most of the hardware these guys had are very very expensive.
And I thought, I had a good setup.
They were using stuff like : rtx3070, 3080 rtx.
I have heared that people were complaining that all the computer components are very expensive, and can't afford them.
But it seems, that a lot of folks are using beast hardware, that in my country is really not affordable ( 1 605 $ or 2 2041 $ when transfering it to my currency (PLN) ).
Also, the thing I don't undertand, why are all the gpu's and cpu's so hard to buy.
I mean, when going into my country's most popular site, I can find some used ones, or some sold by a few shops, but it almost seems like they are not producing them anymore (even when clearly ther are) and it's hard to find them in a large quantity
Is it just a Polish thing ?
Anyway, my question is (cause it's driving me mad) is it possible that my PC is wrongly configured (like my monitor, or my graphic card, cpu etc.) or am I just hoping to get better performance than my (possibly not good enough for today's games) computer is capable of achiving ?
(sorry for bad english) thanks :)
Here are my specs :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8- core processor
GPU : AMD Radeon RX 5700 XTRam : 16 gb ( Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 C15 BK DC - 16GB)
Operating system : Windows 10 x64
Monitor : Gigabyte g32qc (165hz = can display 165 fps which I almost never see in games, or when I use amd fps counter, the (let's say) 60fps or 70fps when lowest, absolutely never feels like it)
Motherboard : B450M DS3H
WHat kind of monitor are you using? do the games have Vsync turned on? if so try turning them off?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Your monitor is FreeSync and paired with that GPU should not be giving you issue unless you are dropping below 48FPS IIRC.
What else is running in the background? Loaded in game, if you alt tab out to the desktop and look at Task Manager/Memory what is it saying is being used?

I second a UBM. Where I agree with the point that another poster was making about it's use, it does tell us a lot without having to ask.

Reactions: kurdtnz

InvalidError

Titan
I agree with kurd and punk. UBM may suck as a benchmark but it is still a useful and convenient way of getting a generic baseline on a couple of different things for identifying obvious sore points such as memory not operating in dual-channel mode or not at the correct frequency,

Reactions: kurdtnz
Oct 22, 2020
You have a solid build. GPU's are almost impossible to find anywhere in the world less than three times their suggested retail due to the extreme chip shortage. It's the worst it's ever been. COVID and mining have screwed the market.
Can you run userbenchmark and post a link to your result on here please?
A 3700X shouldn't have a particularly hard time in anything unless it is thermal-throttling or the motherboard hits its power delivery or VRM thermal limit, which is quite probable on an entry-level motherboard with only 4-phases Vcore.

Its not about using it for a comparative benchmark, in that regards I know it's next to useless. However, as a way of narrowing down some common issues, it's not a bad tool as a basic diagnostic.
WHat kind of monitor are you using? do the games have Vsync turned on? if so try turning them off?
Your monitor is FreeSync and paired with that GPU should not be giving you issue unless you are dropping below 48FPS IIRC.
What else is running in the background? Loaded in game, if you alt tab out to the desktop and look at Task Manager/Memory what is it saying is being used?

I second a UBM. Where I agree with the point that another poster was making about it's use, it does tell us a lot without having to ask.
I agree with kurd and punk. UBM may suck as a benchmark but it is still a useful and convenient way of getting a generic baseline on a couple of different things for identifying obvious sore points such as memory not operating in dual-channel mode or not at the correct frequency,

I am using a thermaltake smart se 630w power supply.

Here are my userbenchmark results :
UserBenchmarks: Game 83%, Desk 82%, Work 85%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 84.2%
GPU: AMD RX 5700-XT - 100.8%
SSD: WD Blue 3D SATA M.2 250GB - 84.7%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB - 84.2%
HDD: Toshiba P300 3TB - 102.4%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - 66.7%
MBD: Gigabyte B450M DS3H

And here are HWINFO resulst :
https://pastebin.com/See9Uz3E

And temperatures only
https://pastebin.com/txb4xUB4

I am very bad at tech stuff, so I might go to the professionalist, and bring my computer/monitor with me. It's very weird though, so I don't think they will be able to do much. I still fell, like it's connected to me, changing my monitor from 1080p to 1440p one - that is as wide as 32 inches. I wanted a new monitor, because I was getting more fps then my previous monitor could handle (60hz) I thought, that now when I have 165hz I will be able to see a big difference. But now, that I have a 165hz one all the games still looks laggy, even though I have not a bad amount of fps. If you guys can figure something out from my tests, that would be perfect.
Still, even on that 1080p monitor, when I was getting high fps, is still felt laggy. I really don't know.

(sorry for quoting you all, but I don't know how to answer to multiple people)

Last edited:
I am using a thermaltake smart se 630w power supply.

Here are my userbenchmark results :
UserBenchmarks: Game 83%, Desk 82%, Work 85%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 84.2%
GPU: AMD RX 5700-XT - 100.8%
SSD: WD Blue 3D SATA M.2 250GB - 84.7%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB - 84.2%
HDD: Toshiba P300 3TB - 102.4%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - 66.7%
MBD: Gigabyte B450M DS3H

And here are HWINFO resulst :
https://pastebin.com/See9Uz3E

And temperatures only
https://pastebin.com/txb4xUB4

I am very bad at tech stuff, so I might go to the professionalist, and bring my computer/monitor with me. It's very weird though, so I don't think they will be able to do much. I still fell, like it's connected to me, changing my monitor from 1080p to 1440p one - that is as wide as 32 inches. I wanted a new monitor, because I was getting more fps then my previous monitor could handle (60hz) I thought, that now when I have 165hz I will be able to see a big difference. But now, that I have a 165hz one all the games still looks laggy, even though I have not a bad amount of fps. If you guys can figure something out from my tests, that would be perfect.
Still, even on that 1080p monitor, when I was getting high fps, is still felt laggy. I really don't know.

(sorry for quoting you all, but I don't know how to answer to multiple people)
Can you copy and paste the link to your userbenchmark result please?

Reactions: Phaaze88

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu = fps.
Gpu = eye candy.

The two have seperate jobs, but do also work hand in hand, and rely on each other to some extent.

The cpu creates the fps limits. It takes the game code, process it, places a physical address on every object, defines the object, defines motion for the object, the objects physical characteristics etc. Does that for every frame. The amount of frames it can complete fully in a second = fps. That all gets sent to the gpu for picture painting.

The graphics details are on the gpu to deal with, so fps isn't affected by the details, it's affected by the gpu ability to recreate the details. If detail levels are too high, fps output by the gpu is lower. Below a certain level, detail levels don't matter, fps doesn't change.

That said, your fps is going to depend on your detail settings and the games played. On my old gtx970 I could get 300fps in Office map of CSGO. Change that to the Dust II map and fps dropped to 120fps. At Ultra. If I dropped that to Low, it went back above 200fps. Changing detail levels in Office did nothing, I still got 300 fps because my gpu was capable of more, but the cpu was capped out.

So you'll find that things are going to be relevant to only certain things. Doesn't matter that they have expensive pc's, they might be playing on a 4k monitor, most certainly on a 1440p so that's going to change results compared to your 1080p monitor.

At the end of the day, decide if your game is playable to your satisfaction, make adjustments as necessary. Don't try to compare to others as they aren't you.

Oct 22, 2020
Cpu = fps.
Gpu = eye candy.

The two have seperate jobs, but do also work hand in hand, and rely on each other to some extent.

The cpu creates the fps limits. It takes the game code, process it, places a physical address on every object, defines the object, defines motion for the object, the objects physical characteristics etc. Does that for every frame. The amount of frames it can complete fully in a second = fps. That all gets sent to the gpu for picture painting.

The graphics details are on the gpu to deal with, so fps isn't affected by the details, it's affected by the gpu ability to recreate the details. If detail levels are too high, fps output by the gpu is lower. Below a certain level, detail levels don't matter, fps doesn't change.

That said, your fps is going to depend on your detail settings and the games played. On my old gtx970 I could get 300fps in Office map of CSGO. Change that to the Dust II map and fps dropped to 120fps. At Ultra. If I dropped that to Low, it went back above 200fps. Changing detail levels in Office did nothing, I still got 300 fps because my gpu was capable of more, but the cpu was capped out.

So you'll find that things are going to be relevant to only certain things. Doesn't matter that they have expensive pc's, they might be playing on a 4k monitor, most certainly on a 1440p so that's going to change results compared to your 1080p monitor.

At the end of the day, decide if your game is playable to your satisfaction, make adjustments as necessary. Don't try to compare to others as they aren't you.
But changing graphic settings doesn't really fix my problem. I mean, I get a lot more fps, but It doesn't matter because they just doesn't look high, when displayed on my 1440p monitor. I just don't know why, because some games look good and play good, but others (while there is high fps on the counter) look laggy as hell. It's like the fps counter lies, because 80 fps can look like 45 on my display. Still, probably didn't understand you answer fully. Could you elaborate what should I do, because I think that my main issue are not even my gpu or cpu, but wrongly configured monitor. Or just some settings that I don't know about, which could fix my problem. Because, let's face it. High fps (should equal) = smooth gameplay on the screen that is capable of generating image of 165 hz right ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The monitor refresh is not fps, doesn't 'generate' anything as such.

Gpu fps is the amount of pictures in a given second. If you think of a ball rolling across the screen, and it would take 10 seconds to do so, and gpu fps was 200, every 1/10th of the screen width that ball gets 200 pictures. So the motion is very smooth compared to an fps of 50, where you'd see tiny jumps, like stutters in the motion.

Monitor refresh is on top of that, so with 200fps, motion will be flawless, dead smooth at 165Hz. But at 50fps it'll be much worse because every few frames will catch the gap between the pictures and you'll get 2x frames with no picture change. Makes it really stutter. This is where vsync, adaptive, freesync come in, to try and remove all that.

On a 60Hz monitor, that'd be better for 50fps, it's almost a 1:1. But the motion just will never be gracefully smooth, more robotic than ballarina.

The higher the fps going to the monitor, the better you picture should be. In fast pace shooters this is important. Picture dude sliding out of a corner trying to kill you. You have low fps so you are getting a tiny time lapse before the picture actually starts showing up, add lag from ping on top of that, slow refresh etc and dude can be around the corner fully, see you, shoot you, kill you before you even realize he is there because his avatar isn't even on screen yet around the corner.

Even if he misses, by the time you snap, aim, shoot, he's past the entrance, and you will swear you hit him, but you only hit his ghost, not where he actually is.

That's why pros play with minimal settings, to maximize fps on screen.

InvalidError

Titan
some games look good and play good, but others (while there is high fps on the counter) look laggy as hell. It's like the fps counter lies, because 80 fps can look like 45 on my display.
That is the difference between AVERAGE fps and 1% LOW.

You may have high FPS 99% of the time but those 1% are enough to ruin your day when they get bad enough.

Do you still get a low memory score on UBM after enabling XMP? You may need to manually select the profile if you haven't done so already.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Oct 22, 2020
I also noticed your M.2 drive only has 6gb left, Im not certain but believe that can also impact your system, especially if it is your boot drive. Also, what cpu cooler do you use and what kind of temps are you getting gaming/under load?
Here's my temperatures displayed while playing Days Gone (I think they are allright, aren't they ?)
View: https://imgur.com/a/s5T9I1S

I use a cooler, that came with my processor amd ryzen 7 3700x, so a stock cooler.