Question Is my HDD dying?

Dec 3, 2022
Hey guys and gals. I recently did a new build using a few of my original components and was wondering if my HDD sounds healthy or not. The fans on the old build were very loud compared to my current ones so it could just be that the fans originally masked the noise of the HDD but I could be wrong. I have backed it up to be on the safe side but am unsure if it is actually on it's way out or not.

Also, if it is dying, can anyone recommend a quiet HDD (I know that's a stretch as they all make noise, but there may be some quieter than others) as a replacement? Thank you in advance!

Sound of the HDD when writing/reading (video is quiet so may need to turn your volume up a tad to hear the almost grinding sound): HDD Noise

Hey guys and gals. I recently did a new build using a few of my original components and was wondering if my HDD sounds healthy or not. The fans on the old build were very loud compared to my current ones so it could just be that the fans originally masked the noise of the HDD but I could be wrong. I have backed it up to be on the safe side but am unsure if it is actually on it's way out or not.

Also, if it is dying, can anyone recommend a quiet HDD (I know that's a stretch as they all make noise, but there may be some quieter than others) as a replacement? Thank you in advance!

Sound of the HDD when writing/reading (video is quiet so may need to turn your volume up a tad to hear the almost grinding sound): HDD Noise
Post a screenshot from 'crystal disk info' for this hdd.

Dec 3, 2022
That all looks good.

Make sure it is mounted correct and if the sound bothers you replace the hdd with a ssd.
Oh that's good to know that it's fine. The sound is a little annoying when no sound is playing but I can deal with it. I currently have it installed screwless using clips on the cases HDD bay, would screwing it in also help prevent noise and vibrations at all?