[SOLVED] is my hp motherboard faulty

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
I bought a hp motherboard (link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-PRODESK...031794&hash=item5b5d352b67:g:QnYAAOSwxppdaXUB)
the model is HP PRODESK 400 G2.5 . I know it's a replacement motherboard, but I bought it to build another computer. So I built it and I turn it on, and it powers on, but nothing displays on the screen but after 30 seconds, the fan start going to full speed. I tried figreing out what the pin-out for the led and power button is, and I was able to do it, but the power light was solid. HP is saying that it's a monitor problem, but my monitors work ok. I tried VGA and HDMI, but it still does not show anything. I tried a GPU as well, but it also did not show anything. I tried everything like I put different ram, that did not work. I cleared the CMOS, that did not work. I looked up everything, but I still did not get it working. Maybe since its a new motherboard, you need to press something to make it work. But I don't know. I guess I wasted my money on this, because seller does not accept returns. So Please Help ME!!

Solution
look carefully at my question again, you don't understand!

Seems like the answer was adequate, at least from the information you provided. You put an 84W CPU into a motherboard that explicitly supports up to 65W processors. And you put a Devil's Canyon refresh CPU into an OEM's H81 motherboard without knowing whether there's a BIOS that allows the Haswell refresh CPUs; this is important because OEM motherboards are notorious for not being updated for theoretically compatible CPUs that come later.

While sometimes unsupported things do, in fact, end up working, the fact that you're getting symptoms consistent with either or both of those two problems suggests this may not be one of those cases.

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
Well since I am troubleshooting, I can't really tell you the full specs, but here are some:
CPU: Intel i5 4460.
RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3 stick (I tried a different ram also from Corsair. same capacity.)
MotherBoard: HP PRODESK 400 G2.5.
That's what I can only tell you.

I bought a hp motherboard (link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-PRODESK...031794&hash=item5b5d352b67:g:QnYAAOSwxppdaXUB)
the model is HP PRODESK 400 G2.5 . I know it's a replacement motherboard, but I bought it to build another computer. So I built it and I turn it on, and it powers on, but nothing displays on the screen but after 30 seconds, the fan start going to full speed. I tried figreing out what the pin-out for the led and power button is, and I was able to do it, but the power light was solid. HP is saying that it's a monitor problem, but my monitors work ok. I tried VGA and HDMI, but it still does not show anything. I tried a GPU as well, but it also did not show anything. I tried everything like I put different ram, that did not work. I cleared the CMOS, that did not work. I looked up everything, but I still did not get it working. Maybe since its a new motherboard, you need to press something to make it work. But I don't know. I guess I wasted my money on this, because seller does not accept returns. So Please Help ME!!
Cpu support.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1388640/Hp-Prodesk-400-G2-5.html#manual
Look at pages 4 and 5.

Reactions: 847

DSzymborski

Titan
look carefully at my question again, you don't understand!

Seems like the answer was adequate, at least from the information you provided. You put an 84W CPU into a motherboard that explicitly supports up to 65W processors. And you put a Devil's Canyon refresh CPU into an OEM's H81 motherboard without knowing whether there's a BIOS that allows the Haswell refresh CPUs; this is important because OEM motherboards are notorious for not being updated for theoretically compatible CPUs that come later.

While sometimes unsupported things do, in fact, end up working, the fact that you're getting symptoms consistent with either or both of those two problems suggests this may not be one of those cases.

Reactions: 847
Solution

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
I did not know that, I thought that the power supply does all the work, but it seems like the motherboard also has a limit on the CPU wattage. And I also thought that if it says LGA1150, It is compatible with all CPUs with LGA1150, but I guess that's not the case. I guess I need to sell my motherboard since I can't return it. Thank you for helping!