[SOLVED] Is my i5 3570k the reason for game stutter?

Feb 26, 2019
I currently have an i5 3570k that has been running at 4.4ghz stable for the past 6 years when I bought it in 2012. I have an asus p8z77v deluxe and the hyper 212 evo if that matters.

So with the i5, I have 16 gigs of ram and a gtx 1060 3gb, but the games I play have this annoying stutter. The framerate will be high, for example, in fortnite, be running at 130-144 fps, but then randomly, it will just freeze for a split second and continue on. Even in minecraft, where I'm getting 300 fps, the game still stutters, but the gforce experience still says im getting 300 fps. Theres also times in fortnite where it will lag really bad, looking like 1 fps, but nvidia says it dropped to like 40. I don't have any AAA games, or really demanding games to test this on. Just fortnite and minecraft. I have cpuz open on my other monitor and task manager and there is no thermal throttling, but the cpu is always running at 100% when in games

So the question is, is it my processor that's causing the lag and stutter? or could it be something else? My brother has an i5 6500 but with a gtx 960, and can run higher settings in fortnite but still get no stutter.

Solution
What antivirus are you running?

If it is AVG or Avast (the popular free ones), they have been giving me issues with gaming stutters recently. Uninstall it if you're using one, see if it happens with just Windows Defender or some other AV active.

We have a 3570k that is still a smooth gamer.
What antivirus are you running?

If it is AVG or Avast (the popular free ones), they have been giving me issues with gaming stutters recently. Uninstall it if you're using one, see if it happens with just Windows Defender or some other AV active.

We have a 3570k that is still a smooth gamer.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, check nothing significant is eating away at your PC before launching any game.

I'm guessing the stutters began with the 1060?

Measure cpu in-game with cpu usage stats. Want the combined entry not 4 cores, think it's just called cpu from memory and not cpu 0, 1, 2, 3 etc. Can have both of course but what you'll be looking at is combined usage.

If cpu reaches 100%, there is a high chance of stutters.

The cpu needs to pre-render frames before delivery to the gpu so cpu usage increases with more frames.

Check your brother's pc too to see where his PC is at in terms of cpu usage.

Possible fix is either lower frame rate or get a 3770k if you can find one on the cheap.