[SOLVED] Is my MB okay?

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
I am going to build a new PC. I bought all the parts, just waiting for the cooler to arrive.
In the meantime, I wanted to flashback the bios because I will use R7 5800x (MB is Aorus b550 Elite v2). I did the whole process with a USB flash drive, I watched this guy (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esNvUVYTmHM&ab_channel=PCBuilder
).
I did everything step by step like in the video, however the first time I flipped the switch on the PSU, there was a white light inside the I/O part of the MB for a fraction of a second with a static sound.
I decided to ignore that because I didn't know what happened and continued the process. The flashback light was blinking fast then slow like intended, PSU fan was spinning, and after like 3 min everything stopped. I pulled the flash drive, turned the PSU off, unplugged everything. Everything went according to the video, I assume it's a success.

Does anyone have any idea what a white flash in the motherboard means when powered for the first time.
PSU: Seasonic Core GM 650
MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2

Solution
Yes main switch button on the back of the PSU.
The only LEDs I know on the elite v2 is tucked on top of O/I part.

Here it is: View: https://imgur.com/a/6LervC4

The red circle is where it flashed a white light. White circles are LEDs.
A lot of capacitors on the MB and some large ones in the PSU tend to keep charge for a while so nothing shuts down immediately. That's quite normal. When you shut it down to change parts, work on something inside or flash BIOS, you should always press Start button (while main power is off) for few seconds to drain capacitors.
Yes main switch button on the back of the PSU.
The only LEDs I know on the elite v2 is tucked on top of O/I part.

Here it is: View: https://imgur.com/a/6LervC4

The red circle is where it flashed a white light. White circles are LEDs.
A lot of capacitors on the MB and some large ones in the PSU tend to keep charge for a while so nothing shuts down immediately. That's quite normal. When you shut it down to change parts, work on something inside or flash BIOS, you should always press Start button (while main power is off) for few seconds to drain capacitors.

Reactions: matacar
Solution

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
That makes sense. I took the PSU from my current PC without draining it and connected it with the new MB.
I heard you have to hold the power button for a couple seconds to drain it of elictricity.
I just hope my MB is okay.

Last edited:

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
It's OK if that's only thing. In my machine even RGB lights stay on and dim slowly for about 15-30 seconds.
Will I be able to build my pc with this Motherboard, will there be any problems?
Ryzen 7 5800x
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Radeon RX 580 8gb
Seasonic Core GM 650
SSD: SanDisk Z400S 256gb
HyperX 2x8 ddr4 3200mhz