[SOLVED] Is my mobo shot? (Hardware reserved memory issue)

May 18, 2020
Alright, so the relevant specs are:
Mobo: American Megatrends A960M-M4

RAM: two separate sets of 2x4gb DDR3-1600 ram

CPU: AMD FX-6300

Basically my computer has been running significantly slower for a couple months now and I finally realized that for some reason 4GB of my 8GB of RAM is hardware reserved memory. I don’t have integrated graphics or anything, so i though maybe one of the sticks of RAM was shot. I swapped them around and the PC wouldn’t boot, no fan spinning, nothing.

I grabbed a new set of RAM and put it in, and it wouldn’t boot at first, so I just put one stick in and it booted fine, but only when that stick was in Slot 1, when it was in Slot 0 I got fan spinning, but no power to any peripherals or my monitor. After I got the PC running I turned it off and put the other new RAM stick in slot 0 and it booted fine, but it still says 4GB is hardware reserved.

I checked and made sure I didn’t have a maximum memory set in my windows boot options, so it’s not that. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Solution

Basically my computer has been running significantly slower for a couple months now and I finally realized that for some reason 4GB of my 8GB of RAM is hardware reserved memory. I don’t have integrated graphics or anything, so i though maybe one of the sticks of RAM was shot. I swapped them around and the PC wouldn’t boot, no fan spinning, nothing.

I grabbed a new set of RAM and put it in, and it wouldn’t boot at first, so I just put one stick in and it booted fine, but only when that stick was in Slot 1, when it was in Slot 0 I got fan spinning, but no power to any peripherals or my monitor...
May 18, 2020

I grabbed a new set of RAM and put it in, and it wouldn’t boot at first, so I just put one stick in and it booted fine, but only when that stick was in Slot 1, when it was in Slot 0 I got fan spinning, but no power to any peripherals or my monitor. After I got the PC running I turned it off and put the other new RAM stick in slot 0 and it booted fine, but it still says 4GB is hardware reserved.

I checked and made sure I didn’t have a maximum memory set in my windows boot options, so it’s not that. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

I should also mention that the original RAM set was working for a few years and that the new RAM set was a set, I’m not mixing memory.

Sounds like you probably have a faulty or dying motherboard. You should consider buying a new motherboard, DDR4 ram and a socket AM4 CPU (Ryzen/Athlon) or you can try to get a new or used replacement motherboard for your CPU. Either option is going to require reinstalling Windows. If you can live with slower single channel mode, you could get a single 8GB module for the still working ram slot, but that is a terrible option with such an old and slow system.

That memory combination has no guarantee to be compatible together.
OP's motherboard has two ram slots and said they're not mixing ram kits.

Solution