Is my monitor starting to die?

Good Ole Spens

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
Greetings everyone.

I've been using this 19' Dynex tv that I converted to a monitor for a little under 7 seven years now. I am using a dual monitor setup, the dynex being my primary with hdmi as the input, and dvi as the input for the second monitor. The card I'm using is an MSI R9 270x Gaming Edition. Just recently, my primary monitor(the dynex with hdmi) started acting up. For instance, I was streaming Skyrim a few days ago, and twice in a matter of 3 minutes, light blue streaks appeared on my screen for a split second, highlighting various parts of the game's landscape. Now i understand that this a telltale sign of gpu failure and overheating, but I quickly monitored my temps with afterburner after this happened, and I was peaking at 54c while in game. I resorted to numerous threads about the safe temp ranges for my specific card, and came to the conclusion that anything under 80c should in theory be fine. However, I am aware that this isn't always the case, and I've taken that into account. Now, while this did happen in game, i will also note that a few days prior to this incident, I had all of my inputs unplugged from both monitors, and these blue streaks and artifacts still showed up on my primary, without any inputs, and they lasted somewhat longer than the latter incident. So that's gotta mean something. ALSO, these streaks and artifacts have never once shown up on my second monitor. Which also leads me to wonder if maybe the hdmi port on my video card is going bad, considering the other port is a dvi port. I have yet to be able to do more testing, due to lack of resources, so tell me what you guys think.

Solution
If the blue streaks showed up with the monitor completely disconnected from the video card/video input- it is most likely the monitor/tv going bad. Had similar with an expensive Dell monitor. Go to BB and buy a monitor to try: if the streaks show up on the new monitor, then it is something else and they will probably let you return the new monitor.
If the blue streaks showed up with the monitor completely disconnected from the video card/video input- it is most likely the monitor/tv going bad. Had similar with an expensive Dell monitor. Go to BB and buy a monitor to try: if the streaks show up on the new monitor, then it is something else and they will probably let you return the new monitor.

Solution

Good Ole Spens

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Will do, appreciate the reply!

You're very welcome. Post back with results, please. If it doesn't solve the problem more serious troubleshooting can commence.

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

You should select a best answer m8

It is not solved yet. Hopefully he'll repost with results of a new monitor.

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

I see, well good luck lol

Good Ole Spens

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Ok, so here's what happened. I didn't go out and purchase a new monitor YET, as funds are tight. However, what I did do, was unplug both ends of the hdmi cord, and switched the ends of them. So, the original end of the cord that I was experiencing the artifacts with is now plugged directly into my video card, and the other end is now plugged into my monitor, and I have yet to see the artifacts show up since I did this. Sounds like a weird solution, but no bad results yet lol.

I've said it many time: computers and their components can just be freaking Weird!!! I would, when you get a few dollars, replace that hdmi cord. Newegg has some pretty good deals and generally they are substantially less expensive then your local stores. Congratulations on fixing the problem !