Question Is my motherboard bricked?

May 15, 2019
So, I thought of updating my bios firmware. I don't play around such things a lot. But it is an old rig so I thought I'd go ahead and do that.
So, updated my motherboard bios first time and it happened successful. Everything was working.
Second time i tried updating it to newer version because the newest version on intel's site said I've update that first.
It showed no problem and got updated.
Bios is running. I can see all the hardware details. Detecting all the devices. My hdd and everything else.
Boot page shows all the devices. Both in uefi and legacy mode. But it won't run anything. It won't run a bootable pd or cd. It won't boot my windows 10 and ubuntu that was there. It just gets stuck there.
Even i tried reinstalling the bios. It shows my removable drives. I can browse files but as soon as i select something it gets stuck. I tried resetting bios by cmos and jumper reset techniques. Ir does reset it. But it won't load anything from the drives.

My rig:
Intel 2500k sandybridge factory clocked
4 gb kingston ddr3 1333mhz ram
Wd earx green hd 1tb
Intel dh61ww motherboard
Stock cooler

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Updating BIOS isn't something you can do daily. BIOS update, as such, is only viable when you know for a fact that newer BIOS fixes the specific issue you have with your PC. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPU with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i need to update BIOS.) If there are no issues, there is no reason whatsoever to update BIOS. Just because you "can" update BIOS doesn't mean that you "have to".

Most MoBos never get their BIOS updated and work fine until they are obsolete. Sometimes, MoBo can see 1x BIOS update in it's life but not 3x like you've done. Due to that, my best guess is that you've damaged the MoBo BIOS chip and now, you have corrupt BIOS. PC won't run when MoBo has corrupt BIOS and only fix is MoBo replacement.

This here is what i call a life's tax.

Reactions: 690shubham
May 15, 2019
Actually I tried bios recovery method by removing jumpers with a bio file of an even newer version of bios. It worked. It updated and now is working fine. This update had overclocking unlocked. So, I clocked it at 4.0 Ghz and it is working fine with a new cooler that I bought.
Thanks for you response. I appreciate it. As i said it is an old rig. I am just experimenting with the hardware and software.