Question Is my motherboard broken?

Dec 5, 2020
Hi, I am a bit lost so any help is highly appreciated.
I just built a new PC so every part is new. After installing all components and plugging in nothing happened, literally nothing, I only could hear a ticking noise like a clock.
I unplugged everything from the motherboard except the ATX power supply and the CPU and tried it again, still no change. When I unplugged the CPU as well a red light was flashing on the motherboard directly at the CPU power input indicating that the plug is missing. So I thought the PSU is the problem and I tried to test it by using a paperclip creating a short circuit on the 24 pin ATX power plug and the PSU fan immediately started working. My thought is now that it is most definitely the motherboard but the red light on the CPU plug confuses me as it seems to work. But no beeping sound or other indicating LEDs was ever on. What do you think?

Thanks in advance

Configuration:
MB Asus X570-PRO
CPU AMD Ryzen 3800x
PSU Corsair CX 650 F (650W)

Morterio

Great
Dec 4, 2020
Hello,

If youre talking about the X lights on motherboard which are blinking at initial startup, thats just the procedure, mine has white light when its good, either white or green, if its red somewhere in the area thats being checked is faulty, for example when you take out RAM, starts blinking to RED.

So you just shorted the PSU and then proceeded to plug it normally into mobo and everything works?

There are no issues now?

Reactions: lugese
Dec 5, 2020
Thanks for your answer, the LED I was referring to is just a warning light on the CPU power entrance, the status LEDs do not blink in any case, not even when CPU or RAM is not istalled at all. When everything is plugged in just fine (it clicked, checked several times) nothing shows up at all. The Motherboard fans are also not working and since the PSU fan also doesnt work there is nothing obtaining electricity. The PSU was tested with paperclip and on my old motherboard and works fine

Morterio

Great
Dec 4, 2020
Maybe a video of it happening will help, try to do that, but since the psu works on old mobo, it looks like the mobo doesnt like the psu, have you changed anything in bios since assembly? Some boards require X pressure on cpu to boot up, maybe check that if its not loose.

But i see no particular reason why psu wouldnt even turn on when plugged into mobo.

Try that video, maybe it will help, now my only suggestion is that motherboard might be either bad one from factory or is just "hardware incompatible".
Also maybe cmos battery out, or shortening pins on mobo to reset it.

Reactions: lugese
Dec 5, 2020
Honestly there is probably not much to see in the video since there is no reaction at all. I also tried to connect the PSU from my old PC and it did not work either (it has 750W) and since I dont even have a GPU installed right now I dont expect a power shortage. BIOS was not changed, I could not boot it even once. I reinstalled the CPU with cooler, still the same. The cmos battery is a valid thought but I am not too much of a professional so Im unsure how to debug it. I will now disassemble the PC and return the mobo, still under warranty so I can try it with a new one and will post an update here. Meanwhile thanks a lot for your time and help!