Is my motherboard compatible with an i7-8700K?

thefrozenwaffle

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
Ok so originally I was planning on buying the Ryzen 7 2700x as my new processor but I feel like the i7-8700K is better for gaming since that's really the main purpose of my computer. The problem with that though is that I have an MSI B350 Gaming Pro as a motherboard and the i7 is only compatible with motherboards that have the Intel 300 series chipset. Does the B350 Gaming Pro support the i7-8700K? If not then Ill try finding a better AMD cpu because I really dont feel like buying a new damn motherboard since I'm already spending a bunch of money.

Solution
Amd and Intel have everything different, from the amount of pins, to the way it's connected to the motherboard. It will 100% not work. What sort of games do you plan to play, because even if you plan to push 4k, i don't see where the ryzen 2700x doesn't suffice. You are probably really overkilling your build. Can you give us a full component list. The ryzen 7 2700 x isn't much worse than the i7 8700k. What resolution do you plan to play, what settings, what framerate?

SkittishGaming

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
Amd and Intel have everything different, from the amount of pins, to the way it's connected to the motherboard. It will 100% not work. What sort of games do you plan to play, because even if you plan to push 4k, i don't see where the ryzen 2700x doesn't suffice. You are probably really overkilling your build. Can you give us a full component list. The ryzen 7 2700 x isn't much worse than the i7 8700k. What resolution do you plan to play, what settings, what framerate?

Solution

thefrozenwaffle

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018

I plan on playing a lot of triple a games but Ill probably also play some smaller games every now and then too. I'm a graphics hog so I play on maximum settings whenever I can. At the moment I play at 1080p but Im considering switching over to 4k at some point but probably not any time soon. The truth is, I'm kinda new to this and I don't really know whats good and not good. As long as my framerate averages at 60 I wont complain. Maybe I do overkill it a bit. If what you say is true Ill stick with the 2700x.

Components:

GPU: 3GB 1060 mini (however I do plan to upgrade to a 1080 or maybe even a 1080ti)

RAM: 8GB

Current CPU: Ryzen 3 1200

SkittishGaming

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016

With the gtx 1060 3gb you won't be able to play at 4k, you will have to upgrade the GPU for 4k. A gtx 1080(ti) would be nice, however the frames will drop. 1440p60 will be the sweet spot, 60 fps on ultra on triple A games. Look at some i7 8700k vs ryzen 7 2700x benchmarks and you'll notice it's pretty close

High graphics settings depend on the graphics card more than anything. Increasing settings, and especially resolution, increases load on the graphics card, but load on the CPU usually remains pretty much the same. You would likely be better off putting the money toward a higher-end graphics card before putting it toward a new CPU. Note that Nvidia will likely be launching a new generation of graphics cards over the coming months though, so it might be worth holding out for the release of the GTX 1180 and 1170 to see how those perform.

And even for a CPU upgrade, today's games won't make full use of the 2700X's 8 cores, so a 6 core 2600X would be a more cost-effective upgrade that should get just about the same performance in games.

thefrozenwaffle

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018

Yah I've heard about that. The reason why I wanted to get these upgrades is because I'm waiting until cyber monday to get them since the prices will drop. If these new generation of gpus do come out before then I'll consider it but if they dont I think I'll be better off just buying the 1080 since I think the newer generations would be overkill. The 1080ti can run most games at 4k at 60fps and I only play on 1080p. I tested my Ryzen 3 1200 on some recent games on max settings and I know for a fact that it is bottle necking when I looked at the stats.