Question Is my motherboard compatible with my CPU Cooler?

Feb 14, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have basically decided on all my parts for the build, and I want to go with the Noctua NH-U9S, Premium CPU Cooler with NF-A9 92mm Fan (Brown), and the ASUS PRIME B450 - Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard. Parts picker says the two might not be compatible, but I have no idea how to check. Could you guys let me in on the pro side and let me know if they're compatible and how you know?

Thanks!

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
I think that it might not be compatible because of how big the Noctua CPU cooler is. Its a beefy CPU cooler (super effective too), but I'm assuming it is saying it isnt compatible because if you mount that cooler to your CPU, it might cause some space issues for your RAM slots (no room to plug in your RAM). My suggestion would be to try and find a smaller CPU cooler. Give me a couple minutes to look into your specs and I will confirm if that is why it is coming up as "Not Compatible". Also while I'm looking into that, could you let me know what type of RAM you will be using, as well as your case?

Feb 14, 2019
I think that it might not be compatible because of how big the Noctua CPU cooler is. Its a beefy CPU cooler (super effective too), but I'm assuming it is saying it isnt compatible because if you mount that cooler to your CPU, it might cause some space issues for your RAM slots (no room to plug in your RAM). My suggestion would be to try and find a smaller CPU cooler. Give me a couple minutes to look into your specs and I will confirm if that is why it is coming up as "Not Compatible". Also while I'm looking into that, could you let me know what type of RAM you will be using, as well as your case?

Thank you! Here's the RAM and case I was planning on using:

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 - 3200 Memory
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 100R Mid Tower Case CC-9011075-WW

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
Yes so the compatibility issue is because there is enough space. The RAM slots are too close to the CPU cooler so you wouldn't have the clearance to fit them in. I would suggest looking for a slightly smaller CPU cooler and you should be okay. PCpartpicker is fairly accurate so just play around with some other options and see if you can find one that will give you enough space.

Reactions: erinbetzk
Feb 14, 2019
Yes so the compatibility issue is because there is enough space. The RAM slots are too close to the CPU cooler so you wouldn't have the clearance to fit them in. I would suggest looking for a slightly smaller CPU cooler and you should be okay. PCpartpicker is fairly accurate so just play around with some other options and see if you can find one that will give you enough space.
Thank you! I'v chosen a different CPU cooler and I think it'll do the trick. it's this:

Arctic Freezer 12 CO – Compact Semi Passive Tower CPU Cooler for Continous Operation, 92 mm PWM Fan, for AMD AM4 and Intel 115x CPU, Up to 130 W TDP