Question Is my motherboard/CPU fried?

Jan 7, 2020
Hey, I just finished building my PC and it worked great for 2 days until I did the foolish mistake of removing the RAM while PC was on..

Now when I start it the monitors don't turn on/connect and on my motherboard a red light "PWR" is lit and also a yellow light "DRAM" is lit. CPU light is not lit. All fans are running when I start it, motherboard lights work and also the GPU fans/light is working. PSU fan is spinning. I tested with completely new RAM aswell.

Does this mean I fried the CPU or Motherboard?

SPECS:
ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 DUAL EVO
Intel Core i5-9400F
HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 2666MHz 16GB
Kingston A2000 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD
ASUS TUF B360-PRO GAMING
Corsair TX550M, 550W PSU

.... I did the foolish mistake of removing the RAM while PC was on..

Now when I start it the monitors don't turn on/connect and on my motherboard a red light "PWR" is lit and also a yellow light "DRAM" is lit. CPU light is not lit. All fans are running when I start it, motherboard lights work and also the GPU fans/light is working. PSU fan is spinning. I tested with completely new RAM aswell.

Does this mean I fried the CPU or Motherboard?
CPU or motherboard or both.

Try resetting CMOS and see if the issue persists.
Power off the PC and remove the power cord from PSU (you should do this any time you are working inside a PC).
Press power button for 15-20 seconds.
Disconnect any HDDs or SSDs
Remove the CMOS battery from motherboard.
Remove RAM modules.
Place the CMOS battery back.
Place only one RAM module back.
Connect power cord to PSU.
Power on.

Are you able to get into the BIOS?

Jan 7, 2020
CPU or motherboard or both.

Try resetting CMOS and see if the issue persists.
Power off the PC and remove the power cord from PSU (you should do this any time you are working inside a PC).
Press power button for 15-20 seconds.
Disconnect any HDDs or SSDs
Remove the CMOS battery from motherboard.
Remove RAM modules.
Place the CMOS battery back.
Place only one RAM module back.
Connect power cord to PSU.
Power on.

Are you able to get into the BIOS?
Hey thank you for the quick reply. I did everything you said and still no dice. Monitor wont connect from either the CPU or GPU. Issue still persists.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
On my Gigabyte motherboard the diagnostic LEDs stay on only for parts that have a problem.
If that's also the case here the CPU is not the problem, but RAM is! It also seems just logical that the RAM is shot when that's what was unplugged while "hot".
The red power LED is enigmatic to me. A problem with the motherboard's voltage regulation (to the RAM)?

Neither the motherboard's manual nor Asus' FAQ provide any information about the diagnostic LEDs' functionality.