Question Is my Motherboard Dead or is My CPU Dead?

HappyTorrent

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
First off, Motherboard is an Asus H87M-Pro and the CPU is a i5 4430S, 8GB RAM and a 500W thermaltake PSU.

Symptoms: Motherboard shows it has power (phosphor LED lights up) but won't respond to the "power" button, even quickly shorting the PW_SW pins with something like a knife or screwdriver doesn't turn it on. I've removed the ram completely, still same issue. I even removed the CPU, motherboard still only lit up not responding to power switch input. I've cleared ram, replaced cmos, even found a PC speaker to add and it doesn't even give error codes.

TL,DR board has power but acts the same no matter if I have CPU/RAM installed or not. Is this a mobo issue or a CPU problem? I've never experienced this before, so I'm quite stumped. I don't have any extra CPUs for LGA 1150 and I can't find a spare MATX 1150 motherboard anywhere local, only ATX boards which won't fit my case. At this point I'm just ready to give up 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lutfij

Titan
Thermaltake is the brand for the PSU, 500W is the wattage, what is the series/model for the unit and how old is it?

We will also need more info. List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
Chassis:

As for not having a processor or ram on the board while it's being fed power, it'll never power up.

HappyTorrent

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Thermaltake is the brand for the PSU, 500W is the wattage, what is the series/model for the unit and how old is it?

We will also need more info. List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
Chassis:

As for not having a processor or ram on the board while it's being fed power, it'll never power up.

Off the top of my head, can't remember what the PSU is. But I know it works cuz I got it powering a Pentium system. As for no cpu/ram that was the point, they were taken out for troubleshooting.

No HDD/GPU as I was only breadboarding to test parts. CPU/Motherboard are listed in the first post. RAM is Gskill sniper DDR3