[SOLVED] Is my motherboard dead?

Jan 16, 2021
My PC died after exhibiting some strange behavior.

First the internet stopped working, then the OS became really sluggish, mouse finally froze, and got BSOD. I didn't write down the cause because it seemed really generic. After the information gathering I shut off the pc and turned it on, it did turn on but nothing on screen. Tried this several times with no change so I unplugged everything and opened the pc to check all connections. Everything was good, so I closed her up, and now the pc won't power up at all.

This has driven me crazy and I'm looking for options. I have so far:
Replaced the PS with a new Seasonic
Removed all RAM sticks but one (and tried the power with known good ram in different positions)
Reseated the CPU
Removed the graphics card
Unplugged all hard drives
Removed the CMOS battery for an hour
Heatsink off

Right now all I have in there is an Asus z97 pro with a 4790k and 500 watt power supply. 15 pin motherboard power connected as well as 8 pin cpu. When I turn on the PS the little red power light on the motherboard lights up but when I press the button nothing happens. No fans spin, no other lights, nada. I think the motherboard is dead but I have no idea how it could have happened. No new hardware was installed, power is very clean, case temps were in the low 30s C, a couple months ago I replaced some case fans. That's it.

Any suggestions welcome, I'm looking on ebay for a new MB because I don't want to go through the new windows nonsense.

Edit: Just want to note that I used this system for the last 4 years and it performed exceptionally well. I haven't been overclocking (did that for the first year but didn't need the speed), I replaced fans when they made noise, and generally took good care of the thing. Annoyingly the Dell I got my parents that's even older runs perfectly fine. I really thought getting premium parts would make a difference.

Last edited:
Solution
Issue has been resolved.

It turned out my SSD was fried, no idea how it happened.

I'm not sure why the system wouldn't get power (that's why I changed my PSU) but I guess it could have been the cmos? Even after unplugging the cmos battery for an hour I don't think it really reset until I used the jumper. I also took apart and rebuilt my system, so I can't know for sure what fixed it.

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
Check the power rail voltages on your old PSU, if anything is higher than it should be due to a fault it could have damaged your motherboard?

also ASUS motherboards often have something called Q LED troubleshooting system, if yours has this, you'll have separate LED's for RAM, CPU, display output and boot device, if one of the LED's remain on it means you have a problem with that system

Jan 16, 2021
Thanks for reply. I don't think it was a faulty PSU. It's an XFX and I believe a rebadged Seasonic. 80+ gold. Never really stressed, I have a huge case with tons of air flow. 5+ years of flawless running, it's just so odd because I've been extremely careful.

The motherboard has LEDs and the QLED but it's not lighting up. I'm going to breadboard and see if I can figure anything else out.

Jan 16, 2021
Issue has been resolved.

It turned out my SSD was fried, no idea how it happened.

I'm not sure why the system wouldn't get power (that's why I changed my PSU) but I guess it could have been the cmos? Even after unplugging the cmos battery for an hour I don't think it really reset until I used the jumper. I also took apart and rebuilt my system, so I can't know for sure what fixed it.

Solution