Question Is my motherboard faulty?

TheCreativeNewb

Commendable
Jul 10, 2017
A few days ago while I was playing a game, I sense a smell of burnt plastic coming from my computer. I immidiately turn off the computer to check what what happened. I thought it might have been some burnt dust as I had some dust build up so I cleaned it thoroughly. After I booted my computer again, it ran fine for about 20-30 mins and upon entering in-game again I smelled something burnt again. After looking in my case, I saw a capacitor lying around in it. After the third time I booted my computer, it ran fine for a minute or two and then it lost all display output and pheripheral connection and acting as if it failed to POST. After that it would always fail to POST, no display output and keyboard and mouse wouldn't light up. I figured it might have been the psu so I swapped it with a new one and had the same results. Interesting thing is that after swapping my psu and giving my computer a couple of power-ups, I tried plugging my chassis as well and after that the computer wouldn't even power up anymore. I'm sensing this might be the motherboard that's at fault here. (ive had no motherboard beeps) . I'm quite new when it comes to this so any suggestions what the culprit might be?

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Since you swapped the PSU's, you should include the current and prior make and model of your PSU's as well. Include an image of the spare capacitor and an image of the board so we can hopefully identify if the capacitor was a stray or if it dropped off the motherboard.

TheCreativeNewb

Commendable
Jul 10, 2017
My specs:
CPU: FX8350
MOTHERBOARD:
ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3
HDD: 1 TB Baracuda
GPU: RX 460 Dual OC
PSU: nJoy Ayrus 450, 450W (replaced with a 500W one from a friend)
Chassis : Segotep Racer (shitty chassis ik)

Capacitator was from the motherboard, it's just weird how cleanly it came of

TheCreativeNewb

Commendable
Jul 10, 2017
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Since you swapped the PSU's, you should include the current and prior make and model of your PSU's as well. Include an image of the spare capacitor and an image of the board so we can hopefully identify if the capacitor was a stray or if it dropped off the motherboard.
My bad, I'm sorry. I've added it now