Is my Motherboard P8H77-M PRO compatible with the Asus Strix Geforce GTX 970?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

_itschaboy

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
Hey everybody! I was searching about trying to find a new GPU to upgrade to when I stumbled across that one. However I wanna be sure it's compatible first, as in order for me to get one I would have to order it, as I don't live in the US. I'm not worried about stressing this card to its' max or overclocking or anything like that but I'm definitely ready for some 1920x1080p gaming on Ultra, as I'm currently bottlenecking with my GTX 650.

UPDATE: Ok guys so I have the listed parts now finally!! But I have one more question. I currently have an HDMI 1.4 cord (hdmi 2.0 on the way). Will I be able to use this cord in my new GPU's 2.0 slot? Also note I'm using my Samsung 32" TV as my display monitor for right now.

Here are my specs:

Power Supply: TR-500 TR2 - 500W 80Plus
Motherboard: P8H77-M PRO
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 1GB
RAM: 32GB
CPU:Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz

Any fast or swift replies would be appreciated thanks.
Also forgot to mention that my desktop is an Asus CM6870 but thanks everyone for those fast replies! They were quicker than I thought! Any other tips on installation? Like how to I remove the PCI-E Cables from my existing graphics card? I tried but no dice. Apologies if that's a N00B question.

_itschaboy

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

So a swap-out would be recommended then?

_itschaboy

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

Not necessarily gaming on Ultra 24/7 but if a new PSU is what's needed then so be it. Any specific recommendations?

Hello... I would run it with what you have... and Then put my fingers to the Power Supply now and then while using a Game at the setting you want it at... if you are experiencing "too hot to touch" or "alot of very hot air leaving the Fan" then you should upgrade to a cooler running higher watt PS. B )
I run a GTX 760 with a 420 watt PS with no problems... but I game at HIGH @ 1080P.

_itschaboy

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

Lol ok thanks bro. As you can probably tell I'm kinda reluctant to swap out. Lol only a last resort effort.

_itschaboy

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

Lol true. Like I said I'm not looking to go all out, phenomenal George Lucas mode or anything, maybe a bit of DSR on 1080p and maybe in the future get an UHD monitor. Ulttra at the most High is fine. A solid 60 fps is also what i'm looking to acheive as well.

_itschaboy

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

Hey bro I was looking through the PSU list and I came across this PSU: SilverStone Strider Plus ST60F-PS 600 W. It's a Tier 2 Class A PSU and I was wondering would this one in particular have the same cables required as well? Sorry not the 600w, the 500w one.

_itschaboy

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

Thanks, so I've settled on the SilverStone Strider Plus ST50F-PS 500 W then, as it has a peak of 600w and it is well rated on the PSU Tier List.