Question Is my network card limiting out my speed?

moshan

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Hello guys,

So I have the following laptop Asus X550JK, which came out with a Ralink 802.11n Wireless LAN Card

My network is capable of putting out 500Mbps transfers, but the WiFi connection with my laptop is always standing at 150Mbps (as shown in WiFi Status panel)

Is there a way to find out if the network card is the culprit here in limiting my speed?

Thank you!

moshan

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
802.11n is an old standard. If your router is running 802.11ac, a new NIC will help.

BTW the advertised 500 mb speed is never obtained in real life. Is marketing-speak. 300 mb is about as good as u can get with today's technology.

Thanks a lot!

Looks like I have to look into network card replacement.

I recommend Intel NFF Wireless AC cards. They are the defacto standard. If you open the bottom of your laptop you'll likely see a card (about the side of two postage stamps) with two wires attached to it. This is your wifi and it's antennas. Simple install your new drivers first. Then pop out the old card and pop in the new one. Open your laptop at your own risk.

AC Adapters over USB are usually junk and won't help you much. They get the job done, but the USB is the real bottleneck.