Is my new CPU overheating or is it my powersupply?

Darthjonathan12

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
I just upgraded my CPU to an AMD Athlon Multi Core Processor AD760KWOHLBOX, 760K Richland 3.8GHz Socket FM2 100W with a stock Heatsink (I have a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 - CPU Cooler with 3 Direct Contact Heat Pipes (RR-910-HTX3-G1) ordered for the CPU because I want to OC eventually anyways). I am also running an EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 ULTRA 768MB GDDR3 RAM P355 Graphics card.

I just purchased a new 550W PSU from ebay and it is very light even when compared to my previous 400W Dynex PSU (which I have been told means its a very low quality). It is a ATX 550W Power Supply for BESTEC ATX-250-12E/ATX-300-12E EMACHINE HP 12V Sliver.

I have never heard of the brand but it was only $20 so I jumped on the deal.

The problem now is that whenever I try to boot up a game it will load and the game will start but instantly shut down the computer and the case light flashes. The only way I can get it to turn back on is by turning off the PSU switch and wait for a few seconds then turn it back on and press the power button.

The computer works fine except for games, so what part do I need to replace? If it is the PSU then where can I find the cheapest one that will do the job correctly? it needs to have either 2 6 pin PCI ports or one 6Pin PCI and more than 4-4pin Molex ports (to support my GPU).

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
ahnilated nailed it. Get a new PSU as soon as possible and do not try to do anything taxing with your computer. In fact, it would be safest to leave your computer off until you get a new power supply. Look at the Corsair CX series. They're cheap and infinitely better than that Bestec.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
The PSU is the single most important part of your computer, you never want to skimp. Buy from the reliable brands, you won't regret it. Look for an Antec, a Corsair, a Seasonic or an XFX. Seasonic is probably the best PSU manufacturer out there, but they are expensive.

As for the PC Power PSU you linked, you're just introducing instability into your system. If it fails, it might take your whole computer with it.

A first generation PC P&C Silencer was a really good unit back in its day, its day was back in 2007..... If you are getting it used that PSU has probably been in use for 5 years or more and may have been treated well or overloaded, you have no way of knowing, it is also wayyy more than you need for your system.

Unless that Silencer 750W is coming in at a really good price i wouldn't go for it, the XFX i linked above will still be the better option even if the Silencer is $10 less.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/553/1