Is my new hard drive on its way out?

lobo0105

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
Just finished building my new PC a few days ago. Installed a game on my HDD last night, it worked fine. This morning i logged on to try and install another game, however kept receiving disk write errors upon download/install. I found this very strange since my hard drive is brand new, and had appeared to have been working given i had installed and ran a game off it the previous night.

I installed a program called CrystalDiskInfo to investigate if there were any problems and it shows as having 73 Pending Sectors (http://i.imgur.com/KiicMgb.jpg)

I have no knowledge of HDD's whatsoever and thus i have a few quick questions. First and foremost, are these pending sectors a sign that my hard drive is in fact faulty? Second of all, is this likely to be just a case of me being unfortunate enough to receive a faulty hard drive upon order or is there some possibility that me trying to install/download a game onto it somehow corrupted it?

Many thanks.

Solution
Look for "reallocated sectors count" raw value on CrystalDiskInfo - if this is 1 or more, get rid of the hard disk.

Verify using HDTune.

lobo0105

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014

Hi thanks for your reply, in CrystalDiskInfo it seems that the reallocated sectors count raw value is 000000000. Is this an indication that my hard drive should be working fine then?

Yes, this can happen. Physical damage.

When sectors go bad, other good sectors are allocated in its place. If these re-allocated sectors raw value count is 1 or more then it is time to replace the hard disk. I will not take any chances with faulty hard disks.

lobo0105

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014

Scanning using HDTune right now. About halfway scanned. 0.5% damaged blocks. Should i return it and get a replacement?

Yes, send it back. Get an RMA started for replacement.