Question Is my new KVM broken or am I missing something?

scags9876

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
Here is the setup I am trying to achieve:
* AOC 24" monitor, DVI input with a DP to DVI adapter on it
* PC with video card that has a DisplayPort output
* MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2021 (Ventura 13.6)
* Wired keyboard and mouse

I want the monitor, mouse, and keyboard to be connected to the pc, and then be able to switch to the mouse and keyboard working on the macbook with the monitor as an extended desktop to the laptop. Ideally I would make this switch by either pressing a button on my keyboard or with a small control button right next to my keyboard.

I bought the following to make this happen:
* A dongle for the macbook that has USB and DP input and connects via usb-c to the MacBook Pro
* A DP KVM switch for 2 computers
* 2 DP cables.

I plug in just my pc into the KVM switch and it works flawlessly.

I plug in just my macbook into the kvm switch and it works (needs to recognize the keyboard but fine).

I plug in both the pc and the macbook into the kvm switch and it does not switch off of PC1. Whichever is attached to PC1 inputs on the KVM works, when I push the 'swap' button, monitor goes black, after a few seconds PC1 comes back on. If it's the macbook that is plugged into pc1, then it needs to re-calibrate the keyboard, which is annoying but livable. If it's the PC, then it just comes back up.

So, is my kvm just broken or am I missing something?

KVM: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C5WPR68H
Dongle: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C58HRTBK

It seems your wired correctly. At first I was thinking a timing issue that the KVM times out and defaults back to PC as the mac seems to need more time to negotiate signal but your right if it's on input one that cancels out that idea.

the only way to know for sure is do you have another PC and take the Mac out of chain for testing and see if KVM starts playing nice.

Or just wire one computer into input 2 leave input 1 empty and see if 2 can even get a working monitor, mouse and keyboard functioning .If this test works than at least you know input 2 does work.

scags9876

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
I thought I had already tested only connecting to input 2, but I did it again just to be sure and yes, sure enough this switch doesn't work with input 2 when the monitor is connected to the displayport out.

If I disconnect the monitor from the displayport out, then the switch goes back an forth between 1 and 2. If the monitor is connected, it only serves input 1. Seems like this switch is broken, or just designed poorly

Reactions: stonecarver