[SOLVED] Is my new XFX Thicc II Pro RX 5600 XT overheating?

Nov 17, 2020
I recently bought a new computer and it came with an XFX Thicc II Pro. The card itself seems to be running fine but whever I play games (Far Cry 5, World of Tanks, Company of Heroes 2) the core temperature goes to 78-79C, the hotspot reaches 91C and the memory temp goes to about 86-87C. The Idle temperature is usually around 49C - 55C (right now it's 55C)

Should I worry? Am I looking at future trouble down the line, or is this normal? Won't the junction heat damage the motherboard?

My set-up is as follows

Amd Ryzen 7 3700 with stock cooler
XFX Thick II Pro 5600 xt
16 Gb Corsair HyperX
Gigabyte B450M motherboard
Kingston 1 TB A2000 M2 ssd

Case Inter-Tech S3901 Impulse with 1 fan in the back and 2 fans in the front.

What can I do to make my card cooler without losing performance, aside for adjusting the fan curve (which I haven't done yet)?

Solution
Some prebuilt PC's do have a sticker on the back side of the case that says it voids the warranty if broke.

Use MSI afterburner and set a custom fan curve. You can just use 2 points, 50C = 20% and 70C = 100% then check the box that makes it active when you start the PC and see if that helps.

Edit for being legal not a clue. I do know their other items made with the same thing.

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Run it without the side panel. See if that makes a difference in your GPU temps. 91°C is TOO hot.

What Darkbreeze said. The front panel on that case looks horrible for any kind of airflow. Looked at some pics, and those two strips on the front that have ventilation don't seem to actually bring any air into the case. The front fans seem pretty much blocked from pulling any fresh air in.

Nov 17, 2020
Run it without the side panel. See if that makes a difference in your GPU temps. 91°C is TOO hot.

What Darkbreeze said. The front panel on that case looks horrible for any kind of airflow. Looked at some pics, and those two strips on the front that have ventilation don't seem to actually bring any air into the case. The front fans seem pretty much blocked from pulling any fresh air in.

Removing the side pane is not an option as I will lose the warranty.

Removing the side pane is not an option as I will lose the warranty.
No, you won't. That's BS. Nobody can refuse to honor the warranty for anything like removing the side panel, or any other reason. There are laws that protect against "warranty void if this sticker is removed" and other such nonsense. If you believe that, how do you think you would replace the power supply, or the graphics card, or upgrade anything, at all, ever, without removing the side panel? CPU cooler? Can't do that without removing the side panel.

If you are scared to remove the side panel, then honestly there is nothing we can do here to help you.

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=ac64eb2b-5a4c-4550-87fb-2140def8a68d

Reactions: Phaaze88
Nov 17, 2020
No, you won't. That's BS. Nobody can refuse to honor the warranty for anything like removing the side panel, or any other reason. There are laws that protect against "warranty void if this sticker is removed" and other such nonsense. If you believe that, how do you think you would replace the power supply, or the graphics card, or upgrade anything, at all, ever, without removing the side panel? CPU cooler? Can't do that without removing the side panel.

If you are scared to remove the side panel, then honestly there is nothing we can do here to help you.

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=ac64eb2b-5a4c-4550-87fb-2140def8a68d

I don't live in the US, breaking the stickers voids the warranty in my country.

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I wonder if we have some miscommunication or misunderstanding here. When we say side panel, we mean the glass side of the case that screws off so you can access the components inside. It looks like it has 4 thumb screws. I can't image that the PC builder put a sticker over that, unless they ripped you off somehow and don't want you looking inside to find out.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Some prebuilt PC's do have a sticker on the back side of the case that says it voids the warranty if broke.

Use MSI afterburner and set a custom fan curve. You can just use 2 points, 50C = 20% and 70C = 100% then check the box that makes it active when you start the PC and see if that helps.

Edit for being legal not a clue. I do know their other items made with the same thing.

Solution
And they are ALL illegal. At least in every MAJOR country. USA, Canada, Australia, UK, most EU nations, these all have some form of law designed to stop manufacturers from doing this. Consumers have a right to upgrade and repair, and these laws have been in place for MANY, MANY years. Beyond Magnuson-Moss there are other "right to repair" laws on the books with still more coming and in the works currently, for the USA. Many other countries already have far more stringent laws regarding consumer rights than what the US has.

But I can't say for certain that any specific country has a protection against this without knowing what the country is, however, the idea that you can't take the side panel off is simply down to fear. I don't know of any prebuilt computer company that would actually fail to honor their warranty because somebody removed the side panel, after all, it is ESSENTIAL and generally a requirement of many warranties that the system be kept clean inside and you can't do that without taking off the side panel. The risk of warranty versus the need to take the side panel off should easily be highly favored towards removing the side panel and this is honestly about the first time I've ever heard anybody actually claim they couldn't do it BECAUSE of that, and mean it.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
And they are ALL illegal.
I'm not saying you can't do anything with it you wish but they can void the warranty if it is opened.
MSI would put a sticker over one of the screws on their video card saying the same thing, your welcomed to remove that screw but it voids the warranty.

Where I work we sell a bunch of controllers every one between the actual controller itself and backplate that must be removed to get to the inside parts has a seal that states warranty void if torn. Again this is not saying you can't open it up to modify it or try to repair it but if you do we will not honor the 3 year warranty.

Not real clear but from my old GTX 980 been collecting dust on a shelf. The screw is covered with the sticker in the middle of the pic.
View: https://imgur.com/a/ejAaF7e

Last edited:
I'm not saying you can't do anything with it you wish but they can void the warranty if it is opened.
MSI would put a sticker over one of the screws on their video card saying the same thing, your welcomed to remove that screw but it voids the warranty.

Where I work we sell a bunch of controllers every one between the actual controller itself and backplate that must be removed to get to the inside parts has a seal that states warranty void if torn. Again this is not saying you can't open it up to modify it or try to repair it but if you do we will not honor the 3 year warranty.

Not real clear but from my old GTX 980 been collecting dust on a shelf. The screw is covered with the sticker in the middle of the pic.
View: https://imgur.com/a/ejAaF7e
No, they can't. By LAW, they cannot. At all. Ever.

I mean, they can PUT whatever they want, ON whatever they want, and they can SAY whatever they want. But the bottom line is, any consumer that was willing to take it to court would win, and MSI and every other company knows that. They would not push it past trying to intimidate a claimant initially. After that, when faced with the reality of a court decision, they would absolutely not waste the time or money on something they know they could not win. And there are plenty of consumer organizations that would 100% take up the case for free if any company DID want to try and fight it.

It doesn't matter if they put a sticker on it. I can put a sticker on stuff too. It absolutely doesn't make it legal. In fact, companies have EXPLICITLY been told to STOP doing it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...turns-out-feds-say-those-warnings-are-illegal

https://www.ifixit.com/News/10016/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers

https://www.engadget.com/2018-04-11-ftc-warranty-warning.html

Any company that puts one of those stickers on ANYTHING, is 100% breaking the law. Breaking the law is only breaking the law if somebody is willing to take it to court though. But the bottom line is, companies KNOW they are breaking the law when they put those on, and if it discourages half the people out there to not touch anything, then it's fully worth it to them because for the rest of the consumer base they will just take care of it and they are already ahead of the game by discouraging people that probably SHOULDN'T touch stuff, to stay out of it, and save the company a lot of unnecessary warranty work caused by people who had no business tampering with anything to start with. But for the rest of the user base, people who are capable, experienced or trained to do it, or are not discouraged by such stickers, it's a non-starter and rightly so because no company has the right to tell you you can't open up a device you own if it needs to be done.

What they CAN do is, IF there is sufficient evidence to suggest that YOU did something to cause the machine, device, component or whatever, to fail, is refuse to honor the warranty on those grounds but to simply say that "we will not honor any warranty if this sticker has been removed", cannot, and will not, fly, in a court of law.

Nov 17, 2020
I wonder if we have some miscommunication or misunderstanding here. When we say side panel, we mean the glass side of the case that screws off so you can access the components inside. It looks like it has 4 thumb screws. I can't image that the PC builder put a sticker over that, unless they ripped you off somehow and don't want you looking inside to find out.

Yeah, my side panel has a waranty sticker, the kind that break apart in a million pieces if you try to remove it, covering the back corner saying warranty void if damaged or removed.

I'm not aware of ANY country where those warranty void if removed stickers are legal. If there are any, they are an extreme exception, not a rule. What country are you in?

Romania, but it's standard practice in other EU countries as well.

Thank you. I did just that and limited the FPS to 60 in all games. Junction temp lowered to manageable low 80s.