is my newbie build any good?

Aug 19, 2018
Hello!
i'm a newbie to building a PC, i followed Chris Miconi's PC building guide on this website and it has been great. i plan on using this PC for gaming and machine learning. here is my build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4PqFbX

so here are my questions:
are 2 PCIe slots on the motherboard enough? i plan on using a wifi card, maaaybe a USB c in the far future if i notice that i'm needing it frequently. also from my understanding i don't need an ethernet or a sound card, they are already built in the motherboard. also i'm happy with 4 SATA 3 slots as im only going to use 1 SSD and may add an HDD later on.

for the GPU i'll try to find a GTX 1050 4GB for under 170$, maybe a local store has one laying around for the old price? i have my eyes set on EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti buuut i wont be picky, 170$ >_> if i can't find it i might just get a ASUS GeForce GT 1030 2GB. if it comes to this, would that be a good option?

is 16GB ram too much? i was planning on getting 1x8GB, but i became concerned that i might not find the same memory stick in the future in my country (Egypt), and i read that i might face problems mixing ram brands or 2 rams running on the speed of the slower ram.

for cooling ill use the stock cooler that comes with the CPU. if i found any problem with cooling ill get a Hyper 212 Turbo or a Hyper 212 Evo.

for parts availability, sadly i'm limited to the parts on this website: http://www.egprices.com/en/ it has the cheapest and most versatile products for building a PC in Egypt.

overall is this a good build? Thanks :----D

Solution

Unless you are planning to install more PCIe cards you only need 2, a PCIe x16 slots for the GPU and a PCIe x1 slot for the the PCIe WiFi card.

Machine learning applications can use a lot of RAM, so 16GB memory should be...
You have 3 PCIe slots
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots for GPUs like a GTX 1050ti
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1 slots for any add-on card like a PCIe WiFi card.

Get a better WiFi adapter. Go for wireless 802.11ac, PCI-E WiFi Adapter with dual dand (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and even 2 antennas for better speed and reception.

7.1-Channel High Definition Audio and Intel Gigabit Ethernet are built in into the motherboard.

Besides the 4 SATA ports, there is also a M.2 slot, which supports a M.2 PCIe SSD or M.2 SATA SSD.

Don't go below a GTX 1050...GT 1030 is not a good option for gaming.

Get the 16GB of RAM, since it could be complicated to try to get a matching 8GB stick later.

With better PSU and mobo

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B360M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($58.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($21.55 @ Walmart)
Total: $557.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-19 10:05 EDT-0400

Aug 19, 2018

so am i correct to assume i don't need any extra PCIe slots?
i probably won't run high end games on high quality, just looking for a good gaming experience. i wish i could get the 1050 but i have a limited budget, i will try tho. thanks.

Aug 19, 2018

i don't think i will exceed 16 GB at all in the foreseeable future, maybe like 10 years or something xD ,i looked at the B360 but i just can't find the features that i need. H310 has 4 USB 3.1 and 6 USB 2.0, plenty, i'm used to using a laptop with 3 USB ports :----D

thanks

Aug 19, 2018

after calculating my hardware wattage using online PSU calculators, i found that my build won't exceed 300Watt, so 520Watt at 87% efficiency should be enough, i think.
for the motherboard i can't find any features that i need in the B360, the H310 has plenty of USB ports, the only concern is weather the number of PCIe slots is enough. i'm planning on using a wifi card only so i might not even use the second one. Thanks :--D

Yes but that PSU is on an old platform, not true DC-DC, not supporting latest C6/C7 states and doesn't have all safety features installed. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent PSU but better to get a much newer model.

Unless you are planning to install more PCIe cards you only need 2, a PCIe x16 slots for the GPU and a PCIe x1 slot for the the PCIe WiFi card.

Machine learning applications can use a lot of RAM, so 16GB memory should be the minimum.
Depending on the machine learning app, a GPU could be use in parallel with the CPU to run operations even faster. A GPU could even outperform a CPU in that area.
Is better to spend a little more now than trying to switch a component that is not up to the task.

Get the Hyper T4 or Hyper 212 Evo. Forget about the stock cooler, use it as a paper weight.
Just get the cooler you will be using and avoid performing any tasks that could damage components, like removing a cooler.

PSU is not only about wattage, but getting a reliable unit with the features required for your components.
So pay attention when someone here with experience is giving you an advice. You might spend a little more now but you will save in the long run. The Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series comes with 10-years warranty for a good reason.
A PSU that is not fully compatible with your CPU power-saving features, can not provide the power the CPU needs when entering those power states, which save power but most importantly help reduce CPU temperatures.
Your PC could even freeze when going into a sleep state that is not supported by an old generation PSU.

Solution
Aug 19, 2018

oh wow, getting that old model would have been quite inefficient indeed. thanks for the heads-up. i can't find the Focus plus model anywhere in Egypt unless its 750Watt + costing a whopping 165$ sadly, but i will try looking for a good PSU with the things you mentioned. Thanks.

Aug 19, 2018