Is my OC any good/safe?

Jack Barber

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Right now i'm using an i5 4670k @4.4GHz with 1.315v and with a CPU Ring Ratio at 4.3GHz with 1.26v. While playing GTA V the max temp I hit was about 70c however when taking my side panel off it hovered around 58c-62c. Is the voltage too high or while i be alright with what I've got as I need it to be as powerful as possible to reduce any bottleneck of my GTX 1070.

Solution
Its about the same as mine, can't see a problem. What are you using the 1070 for? 1440p 60Hz or 1080p 144Hz? For 144Hz a 4670k is always going to be a limiting factor in some modern games. At 60Hz it should be perfect.

Jack Barber

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

1080p 144hz. I have however considered upgrading to a 4790k to reduce the bottleneck while playing games in 1080p. I've just read up on something then where it says I can lower my ring ratio to get higher core clocks, as higher rings can reduce stability and don't affect performance as much as the core clock. Would lowering my Ring Ratio to about 3.6/3.7GHz help me reach higher core clocks with the same voltage?

If it is just a gaming box, you will gain no benefit from changing the cache from default setting. Only difference I have observed is in image editing apps and there you get no benefit having it less than 3 below CPU Multi ...

So for 44 CPU multiplier, leave the cache it at default for gaming, 41 for workstation type apps.

Voltage does see a bit high for 4.4 Ghz ... I was at 1.26 at 44/44 GHz on my 4770k ... 45/45 took 1.325 ... 46 / 43 took 1.385

I needed to raise VCCIN to 1.880 fior the higher settings

Your case cooling is obviously deficient.

The word "bottleneck" is the most misused term on PC enthusiast forums, you have no concern in that regard here. Outside of games with multi-player mode issues, you won't see any significant impact even with a 2600k ... we've tested at 1080p / 1440p at refresh rates between 60 and 165 Hz.

For haswell, a vcore of 1.3 or so is about as high as you want to go.
The cpu temperature is driven by the vcore.
You are doing about your max at 4,4 and vcore of 1.3.

By taking the covers off, and doing better, it tells me that your case cooling is not particularly good.
70c under load is not a big problem.
The cpu will not slow down or shut off until you reach about 100c.

bottom line_________________________
You are good as is.

Jack Barber

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

Hmm interesting, i've never tried changing the VCCIN voltage as I had no clue what it meant. I could try and adjust it to your said voltage and see what difference it makes.

REMEMBER ! ! !

If you are using adaptive voltage control (recommended), be aware that when AVX instructions are present, your VCore will jump by 0.13. So if you have your BIOS setting at 1.32 ... it will jump to 1.45 when the CPU receives AVX instructions. Under normal applications or application based stress tests this is no real concern provided you have adequate cooling. But you can fry your CPU with synthetic stress tests like P95 (later versions)

Up to 1.200v = Very Good Air Cooler (Hyper 212)
Up to 1.250v = Better Air Coolers ....... Dual 140mm CLC / AIO Cooler w/ 1500 rpm fans (Corsair H110)
Up to 1.275v = High end Air Coolers (Phanteks PH-TC14-PE, Silver Arrow or Noctua DH14) Extreme Speed Dual Fan CLC / AIO w/ 2700 rpm fans (too noisy for most folks)
Up to 1.287v = Best air coolers (Cryorig R1 / Noctua DH-15)
Up to 1.300v = Swiftech AIOs ( Swifteh H220-X / H240-X)
Up to 1.325v = Custom Loop w/ 15C Delta T (3 x 120mm / 140mm) *
Up to 1.400 = Custom Loop w/ 10C Delta T (5 x 140mm or 6 x 120mm) *

Jack Barber

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

I'm using a 92mm Arctic Freezer i11 at 1.35v right now, and i think my CPU is stable at 4.5GHz. However taking what you said into account, I think its just best to leave it at my 4.3GHz @1.25v, thanks for the information and help though :D

At 1.35, you'll get to 1.48 when AVX is present. Ofc if you don't have any apps that use AVX, that's not an issue.

If you can maintain satisfactory temps at 4.x running RoG Real Bench, and you are not concerned with resultant temps, you should be fine:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?43233-Realbench-v2-Discussion-Thread-Download-Links
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

When you open Real Bench, move both windows to left side of screen. Open HWiNFO64, run "sensors only", you will get a pop up asking whether to disable reading a certain chip, click "Disable this sensor". Move the HWiNFO64 window to upper right hand corner of screen. Stretch bottom of window to full screen height. Make the following changes:

-Right Click on "System" right at the top, select hide.
-In the next section, hide the last 4 lines starting "Core CPU Thermal Throttling" (if you watch temps, this is useless)
-Skip over the next section and Hide the section after that (section includes CPU Package thru DRAM Power)
-Now the whole reasons we did that was so you could see everything you wanna see at same time. You should be able to see Vcore 0, 1 and 2 at -the bottom of the window. If not hide a few more lines. Save and Quit will save your edits.[/I]

Open Real Bench, select Benchmark Tab Check only the last box. Open HWiNFO64, run "sensors only" as described above. Start Real Bench and don't touch mouse till finished. Observe voltages and temps. If you can get thru these 2 minutes, you're close.

Then try checking all 4 boxes and run again NOTE: During the 3rd test Open CL will send AVX instructions to CPU; pay close attention to Vcores as they will spike as described above. If passes.....

Switch to the Stress Test Tab and select the amount of RAM you have in your system and 2 hours..... (Note: If you plan on raising cache and / or RAM after a run, I will usually save the two hours and skip this step until I have Multiplier / Cache and RAM speed at my targets.