[SOLVED] Is My Overclock on My GTX 1080 Good? And is a Single 8 Pin Enough For High Overclocks?

erik62905

Honorable
Jan 17, 2018
So I have a GTX 1080 Windforce OC from Gigabyte that I got back in August for $430. I never really tried overclocking very far and always kept the overclocks pretty low. Today I tried overclocking far for the first time. The main thing I was worried about was the single 8 pin powering the whole GPU.

Anyways I started overclocking and realized I was getting really good overclocks (I think) on what is a reference PCB GPU. The temps never got above 70C and the fans are all at 50% at 70C with my fan curve.

On Superposition, on 1080p high, I got a score of 12778 which is in like the top 15 GPUs on the website. I haven't noticed any artifacts in the tests.

Should I try going higher? I have only OC'ed to +200 core clock and +630 on the memory. I haven't tried going higher yet. The max power draw I saw was around 212W.

Proof:
My Overclock

Superposition Benchmark Score

Solution
As long as it's not crashing the single 8 pin is good enough! That's a decent overclock, and again as long as it's not crashing or artifacting, you can try for more. No real reason not to. Keep going until it crashes, then back it off a bit. As long as temps stay acceptable, I think you're ok.

And that's a great superposition score, but I would try on 1080 extreme, as it'll stress the gpu more. And for reference my 6600k/2080 scores 6861 on extreme.
As long as it's not crashing the single 8 pin is good enough! That's a decent overclock, and again as long as it's not crashing or artifacting, you can try for more. No real reason not to. Keep going until it crashes, then back it off a bit. As long as temps stay acceptable, I think you're ok.

And that's a great superposition score, but I would try on 1080 extreme, as it'll stress the gpu more. And for reference my 6600k/2080 scores 6861 on extreme.

Solution

erik62905

Honorable
Jan 17, 2018
So apparently with more testing today +200 MHz on the core is not stable. I put Superposition on loop and it crashed after the second loop. I turned it down to +185 and that seems to be stable. I also took the memory clock down to +600 just to be sure.

Upon crashing the core clock plummeted to 189 MHz and the memory clock dropped to somewhere around 350 MHz which is very low. I don't know why it did that but it happened every time it crashed. The core clock went back to normal speeds after a restart. Do you know why the clocks dropped?