Is my pc future proof?

cosmomaniac

Reputable
Aug 24, 2016
I was wondering if you guys could tell me if the laptop I am planning to buy is future proof.
Its an ASUS ROG GL552vx.
Here are the specs

Intel i7-6700HQ
1x8gb ddr4 ram
Nvidia GTX950M GPU
4GB gddr5
1TB HDD
SSD slot available.

I want the laptop to atleast last for 3-4 years.

If not, then any suggestions for a futureproof laptop in $1200 range?

Thanks

Solution
No laptop is "futureproof" especially if you have high expectations.

If you can afford a laptop in India that has a GTX 1060, then that is what you want for "futureproof". It is marginally better than the GTX 980m which is a lot more powerful than the GTX 960m. Otherwise look for a laptop with a GTX 965m or GTX 970m in your country.

If you can wait maybe a couple of months, then laptops with the GTX 1050 should be appearing at the beginning of 2017. The GTX 1050 is probably going to be around as powerful as the GTX 965m / GTX 970m.

For what it is worth, the GTX 960m is a pretty decent GPU even if it is going to be overshadowed by the the GTX 1050. However, if you are looking to max out graphics in most games you want to play, then...

USAFRet

Titan

There is nothing "futureproof", especially laptops.
This time next year, there will be a better laptop for that same $1200.

Wolfshadw

Titan
In the computer industry, there is no such thing as future-proof. With laptops, there's even less. If it's going to be used mostly for gaming, look for at least a GTX960M/1060M for a graphics solution. If that means dropping down to an I5 processor, so be it.

-Wolf sends

rahul999rap

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Future Proof?!
I hardly think that it is gonna give cool fps with all games of this and next year on ultra + 1080p. Only processor is gud enough

considering that that the ram is quite low. u got to have atleast 16gb ram. that problem can still be countered as we can increase ram in laptops.

the GPU especially is not really up to the mark. for laptops u must hv atleast gtx980M 4gb or gtx970M 3gb to be playing games of this year in playable fps in ultra + 1080p in this year and 3-4 future years in med-high settings.

May i suggest a dell alienware 17 for that. even most of the laptops of msi will fall in ur budget which u ask for easily.

Add $200 more in ur budget of $1200 as u mentioned above and buy this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IO9Y3A6/ref=twister_B01KGI140U?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
this will ensure ur gaming unstopped and untampered to be played on ultra + 1080p for a couple of future years in descent frames per second. and u will be able to play all games for next 5-6 yearson alteast med settings

Your video card is already out-dated today for gaming at past low settings in many games.

This is just over 1200 and is good http://www.xoticpc.com/gigabyte-p55wv6-pc3d.html

cosmomaniac

Reputable
Aug 24, 2016
The thing is guys that I live in india so its not possible for me to get the msi or the gigabyte here. The msi with same config. as suggested costs around $2200 here. Also its kinda risky to get it shipped.

No laptop is "futureproof" especially if you have high expectations.

If you can afford a laptop in India that has a GTX 1060, then that is what you want for "futureproof". It is marginally better than the GTX 980m which is a lot more powerful than the GTX 960m. Otherwise look for a laptop with a GTX 965m or GTX 970m in your country.

If you can wait maybe a couple of months, then laptops with the GTX 1050 should be appearing at the beginning of 2017. The GTX 1050 is probably going to be around as powerful as the GTX 965m / GTX 970m.

For what it is worth, the GTX 960m is a pretty decent GPU even if it is going to be overshadowed by the the GTX 1050. However, if you are looking to max out graphics in most games you want to play, then the GTX 960m will not be good enough for that. The GTX 960m should be good enough to play most (but not all) games @ 1080p using medium graphic settings for next few years.

Solution