[SOLVED] Is my PC good enough for RTX 3070 without bottlenecking?

Sep 24, 2020
Hi

Built my very first desktop in 2016 with GTX 1080 and thinking about upgrading it to RTX 3070 when it arrives. Originally thought about upgrading to 20-series when the 30-series arrived but the price and power comparison with the new release I'm thinking of jumping straight to 3070.
My specs are as follows:
MB: Asus Z170-E(LGA1151)
CPU: I7 6700K(not overclocked)
PSU: Corsair RM650x
Ram: 16 GB HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 MHz
Graphic: Zotac GTX1080(that's planning to switch out and give to my girlfriend who's got 1060)
SSD: 500 GB M2(planning to upgrade as well and give my old one it to my gf)

Just thinking about to switch to RTX 3070, not 3080 and most certainly not 3090 cause of the price and don't need that much power for at least a couple of years.
The thing I'm worried about is my CPU and PSU, think I'm in the clear for the 3070 but worried about bottlenecking from the CPU and my PSU might not be powerful enough. I'm gaming in the living room with 65 inch 1080p with 60 hz, can go up to 4k but it's so much more demanding on all the components so I "just" stick with full HD and have better graphics and smoother framerate.

Hoping an answer for what components I need to get if I need to upgrade anything for the upcoming 3070 in the near future.
Cheers.

Solution
Hi

Built my very first desktop in 2016 with GTX 1080 and thinking about upgrading it to RTX 3070 when it arrives. Originally thought about upgrading to 20-series when the 30-series arrived but the price and power comparison with the new release I'm thinking of jumping straight to 3070.
My specs are as follows:
Graphic: Zotac GTX1080(that's planning to switch out and give to my girlfriend who's got 1060)

Just thinking about to switch to RTX 3070, not 3080 and most certainly not 3090 cause of the price and don't need that much power for at...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi

My specs are as follows:

Just thinking about to switch to RTX 3070, not 3080 and most certainly not 3090 cause of the price and don't need that much power for at least a couple of years.
The thing I'm worried about is my CPU and PSU, think I'm in the clear for the 3070 but worried about bottlenecking from the CPU and my PSU might not be powerful enough. I'm gaming in the living room with 65 inch 1080p with 60 hz, can go up to 4k but it's so much more demanding on all the components so I "just" stick with full HD and have better graphics and smoother framerate.

Hoping an answer for what components I need to get if I need to upgrade anything for the upcoming 3070 in the near future.
Cheers.
Yep your fine!

EDIT in some games your processor will be the weakest link but something always is!
Really you should never look at it as a bottleneck it's just a limit of your parts.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the reply, had done some research but thought it would be best to ask just in case, how quickly you get out of loop when you don't build pc for a couple of years...
People get to stressed on bottlenecks its not like your running a old as crap processor and slapping a top of the line card in it.

EDIT Not a clue what cooler you have but those chips overclock fairly easy with proper cooling and you have a decent motherboard you can always clock it up a bit for better overall performance.

It's almost a shame to buy a decent board and a K processor and not overclock it some.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020
People get to stressed on bottlenecks its not like your running a old as crap processor and slapping a top of the line card in it.

EDIT Not a clue what cooler you have but those chips overclock fairly easy with proper cooling and you have a decent motherboard you can always clock it up a bit for better overall performance.

It's almost a shame to buy a decent board and a K processor and not overclock it some.

Got a regular Cooler Master so nothing fancy, thinking about maybe getting a new cooler as well and it's not the biggest investment.
And I know it's kinda wasted that I haven't overclocked it due to that I can overclock it but kinda scared that I might <Mod Edit> up and end up reducing the durability on it. Got a friend who was extremely into pc(bought a CPU for almost 5000€/6000$ in 2012 or maybe even earlier, still a powerhouse to this day) and spoke about people(and himself) that have overclocked pcs and burnt them out, so maybe I'm just cautious about the whole thing.

By the way, you have any recommendations for what CPU-cooler is good? Pricerange can go from 50€$ to 120€$, but the prices are a bit higher since we are not a member of EU. Heard that Noctua is very silent and good but not sure if it's just marketing or if it actually live up to it's name.

And thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator: