Apr 21, 2019
Ok, so here are my current system specs:

Intel i5-9600k
Rx 580 Gaming x 8g
16 gb of 3200mhz RAM
MSI Z390-A PRO
512gb SATA III SSD
Cooler Master 750 Watt gold+ PSU

I want to get into vr, I know that the Rx 580 meets the minimum requirements for vr and it’s not recommended, but I have the Rx 580 Gaming x 8g. I still strongly feel I should upgrade to a Radeon 5700 xt, I know that can do vr pretty well (I assume). I don’t know if my cpu would bottleneck it though, I herd it could be done. A lot further down the line I want to upgrade to an i7, 10th generation or above depending on when I get to it and it’s the same socket, if I have to change my motherboard anyway I will probably go for an AMD chip if there still beating intel, idk I will just look into it when I do upgrade. But my next upgrade is getting 4 case fans, It’s that and my pc will run absolutely quiet, I will be replacing it with the case fan I have in my case (Phanteks eclipse p400s). I currently have a Le Macho Grande RT Sitting atop my cpu, and under intense gaming it doesn’t go past 70 degrees C, so I can overclock if needed be. (A few more upgrades I though I should mention, a 1tb faster m.2 drive and a 3tb hdd (I found a reliable one around $60) and I would get rid of my current SSD, I just thought I should mention that just in case). What I’m saying is, Can do do vr well, I’m not asking if I meet the requirements because I know I can do, but could my pc handle be well. And if not would upgrading to a Radeon 5700 xt be a good choice? And is my current cpu good for vr?

My second quiestion, I think I have it all figured out but I want a second opinion: I’m thinking if getting and HTC Vive (2016), it’s a little pricey but It’s good, right? I would go the oculus rift s, it’s cheaper, but I have concerns: it has higher quality, but at the expense of 10 hertz, and I heard that’s were most people get sick. Also, I have had some experience with the Vive controllers, I love the design, but looking at the rift controllers it’s like Vive but all the buttons are in one place, I liked the feel of a trackpad, and a button to grab when I squeeze, and a trigger. Am I just wrong about the oculus controllers? Finally, I will be playing mostly steam games, I heard that oculus does support steam but you have to go through a certain process and they aren’t at the same quality. It’s a $100 difference, I would go Vive, but I worry I’m not having all the facts and am probably choosing wrong.

Anyway, that’s me on vr, sorry that was long, just a little nervous jumping into this, thought I needed some outside opinions. I would love to get started, I’m not that concerned with choosing a headset, just mostly my upgrade path for my pc. Also, any advice since I only started looking into this for about a week?

Solution
Avoid the Vive and go Rift S, the screen quality difference alone is worth it. Nearly everyone on r/Oculus cannot tell the difference in refresh, and most of those users have upgraded from the Rift CV1. The screen resolution is much higher and the screen door effect is nearly removed on the S as well. "VR sickness" is very common among new users, I doubt the small amount of refresh rate difference has much effect. Most overcome it within a few sessions, just don't go straight for high speed games such as Elite Dangerous or Dirt Rally when you first get your device.

If you want an idea on just how much better the screen is on the Rift S, see this video:
-
View...

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
Avoid the Vive and go Rift S, the screen quality difference alone is worth it. Nearly everyone on r/Oculus cannot tell the difference in refresh, and most of those users have upgraded from the Rift CV1. The screen resolution is much higher and the screen door effect is nearly removed on the S as well. "VR sickness" is very common among new users, I doubt the small amount of refresh rate difference has much effect. Most overcome it within a few sessions, just don't go straight for high speed games such as Elite Dangerous or Dirt Rally when you first get your device.

If you want an idea on just how much better the screen is on the Rift S, see this video:
-
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=1_Te2Kn4ggg

Oculus controllers are much more ergonomic than they look. Trust me, all the buttons are easily accessible and are in arguably better positions. There is still a trigger button and the "Hold" button is pressed by your middle finder. SteamVR natively supports the Oculus headsets and nearly all Steam titles support Oculus headsets without issue. Some users report slight performance issues due to running SteamVR over Oculus but using OpenVR software (OpenComposite) removes it. Most games offer a native Oculus runtime anyway so rarely an issue.

Your PC has high enough specs, I use an i5 4690 / GTX 1060 / 16GB RAM and can run most games fine. Your CPU is perfectly powerful enough but your GPU will be hit hard by VR. I personally wouldn't worry about it and just upgrade if needed but up to you.

Solution
With the RX580 you'll be doing a lot of reprojection which can lead to dizziness and distorted images.

I own a 5700XT and I would consider it the bare minimum for VR.

However I would recommend a 2060S, or 2070s as better alternatives. For whatever reason, NVIDIA always scores better on in terms of raw VR FPS than AMD for an equivalent priced model.

90fps is the recommended minimum to avoid dizziness. I'm really quite surprised Rift S dared to go with 80Hz panels. But since they are aiming for the low end, I'm guessing they were targeting lower powered rigs that would have a hard time with 90Hz any way.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
With the RX580 you'll be doing a lot of reprojection which can lead to dizziness and distorted images.

I own a 5700XT and I would consider it the bare minimum for VR.

However I would recommend a 2060S, or 2070s as better alternatives. For whatever reason, NVIDIA always scores better on in terms of raw VR FPS than AMD for an equivalent priced model.

90fps is the recommended minimum to avoid dizziness. I'm really quite surprised Rift S dared to go with 80Hz panels. But since they are aiming for the low end, I'm guessing they were targeting lower powered rigs that would have a hard time with 90Hz any way.
Are you sure the 2060s is good over the 5700 xt? The 2070s is a little out of my price range, and on most website they say that the 5700 xt outperforms the 2060s pretty well (some compare it to the 2070s) and at that price. There’s no information I can find on it for very, but I assume the same. I will also be playing non-vr games so how large of a gap is there between the 2060s and 5700 xt in Brooklyn performance?

The 2060s is roughly equiv to a 2070

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/cli38t/question_radeon_rx_5700xt_or_rtx_2080_super_for_vr/

You'll have to look up the VR scores for the 5700XT. But they were less than impressive. That may, however, be a result of early drivers. As this is a new architecture, it's hard to say. I'm also guessing VR optimization isn't on a high list of priorities for AMD at the moment.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
The 2060s is roughly equiv to a 2070

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/cli38t/question_radeon_rx_5700xt_or_rtx_2080_super_for_vr/

You'll have to look up the VR scores for the 5700XT. But they were less than impressive. That may, however, be a result of early drivers. As this is a new architecture, it's hard to say. I'm also guessing VR optimization isn't on a high list of priorities for AMD at the moment.
I have been searching for a while on how the Radeon 5700 xt does vr, I found nothing except people speculating that it will do pretty well because it has an FPS sharpening thing. So what do you guys think?