Question is my pc underperforming?

Mar 17, 2022
hey so i have a 3070 ti, ryzen 5 5600x 16gb ram @ 3K and my friend has a 1080 with an i5 12600K with 32GB ram @ 3.6K right and for most games hes getting 30 fps more than me
is this a concern? should this be expected or am i underperforming?

More information i can give is his temperatures are incredibly low, 40-50 cpu temp while in a game and mine would be 75-85, i see how this can be an issue but doesn't thermal throttle kick in at 95? throughout this my gpu would stay at 60 at most

the games we tested are rust and gta 5

thank you for your time

logainofhades

Titan
I would say yours is underperforming. Make sure you enabled XMP, for your ram, in the bios. Make sure chipset and graphics drivers are up to date. 85 is a bit on the high side, even for Ryzen. It may not throttle at 85, but it might not be hitting full turbo clocks either. Check your CPU and GPU utilization, with MSI afterburner.

Reactions: nbasola
Mar 17, 2022
I would say yours is underperforming. Make sure you enabled XMP, for your ram, in the bios. Make sure chipset and graphics drivers are up to date. 85 is a bit on the high side, even for Ryzen. It may not throttle at 85, but it might not be hitting full turbo clocks either. Check your CPU and GPU utilization, with MSI afterburner.

Ive just updated my bios and graphics card and its all the same and yeah XMP is on, i took a test with a friend with a pc that is similar to mine but he has a 3070 yet hes getting 20 more fps than me in rust, we did this benchmark fairly with the same res and game settings and in the same place in game. It seems like he gets more gpu temp than me yet he has more fps. The screenshots are on this forum, mine the first screenshot my friends is the second. it'd mean a lot if you can help https://linustechtips.com/topic/1418811-is-my-3070ti-underperforming/#comment-15309435

Mar 17, 2022
What are GPU temps while gaming? How many case fans? How are they oriented?

Your OS SSD is full. Move the games to the EVO SSD.

And find out what PSU you have?
i have only 3 fans one at the back and two in the front but ngl the two in the front are very <Mod Edit>, i am already planning on getting a 240 radiator with 2 fans and an additional 2 more fans at the top of my case but i dont know if this will even change my fps? what do you think? and my gpu temps change a lot, they are usually 65-70 tho worst case scenario 73 i guess and ill be moving some of my games to my other SSD thanks for that suggestion

EDIT : fans are to come in 2 days

Last edited by a moderator: