Is My Power Supply Good Enough For A GTX 1070

Gnox1

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
I have an Antec VP500PC and i know the wattege is enough to support an i7 and gtx 1070 with no overclocking done, however im wondering if i would be putting my pc parts at risk as that power supply is pretty low quality from what i understood, if i should upgrade my psu is this power supply good? Seasonic S12II-520W

Solution
The danger with a cheap psu is that if it fails, it can damage other parts.
With Antec, you will get sufficient protective circuitry so damage is not likely.
If your psu has been working well, I would not bother to change it out.

I would avoid buying one of those highly overclocked GTX1070 cards that require two 8 pin psu connectors.
The danger with a cheap psu is that if it fails, it can damage other parts.
With Antec, you will get sufficient protective circuitry so damage is not likely.
If your psu has been working well, I would not bother to change it out.

I would avoid buying one of those highly overclocked GTX1070 cards that require two 8 pin psu connectors.

Solution

Gnox1

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017

i am fairly scared to use the same psu because i used to turn off my pc by unpluging it from the wall, is that sometihng that might have damaged my psu?

No.

Gnox1

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017

cool thanks allot, im also wondering if i should upgrade my i5 4460 to an i7 4790 or it just not worth it (i7 4790 is the only i7 i can upgrade to without changing motherboards)
Edit: also consider that my target is playing overwatch on around 144+ fps on meduim to high settings

If your game is cpu limited, the stock 4.0 clock of a I7-4790K will be an improvement over the 3.2 of the I5-4460.

Here are a couple of tests to get a better idea :
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 80%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 20% improvement in core speed might do.

Gnox1

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017

that actaully makes allot of sens and will probably save me allot of time searching for benchmarks, thanks allot man for the tips

TRENDING THREADS