[SOLVED] Is my PSU compatible with an RTX 3080 ?

Unknown 76

Honorable
Jan 11, 2017
Hey guys i upgraded from GTX 970 to RTX 3080 (finally!!) and i have a Cooler Master rs-700-acab-b1 (700watts) PSU. I believe i have enough wattage but as you know The RTX 3080 has 3 x 8-Pin and on my PSU there are 4, 2 mains and from those 2 mains there are 2 branches. Can i use one of these branches with the 2 mains?

Solution
Can i use one of these branches with the 2 mains?

Yes it is "compatible" and yes you can. As long as the output on the PSU end says "PCIE" it's OK but whether the PSU can actually handle the high transient currents a 3080 demands under load is another story.

That is a Cooler Master B700, right? How old is it?

What are specs of the rest of the system?

I think those PSUs have a 3-year warranty, somehow meaning the manufacturer doesn't trust them after 3 years either!

I wouldn't even use a brand new meh 700W PSU to power a 3080. I would get a good quality 750W or even 850W PSU with 4 main PCIE power outputs, where you can connect the three 8-pin on the card directly to PSU outputs, no branches. More importantly a PSU...

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Can i use one of these branches with the 2 mains?

Yes it is "compatible" and yes you can. As long as the output on the PSU end says "PCIE" it's OK but whether the PSU can actually handle the high transient currents a 3080 demands under load is another story.

That is a Cooler Master B700, right? How old is it?

What are specs of the rest of the system?

I think those PSUs have a 3-year warranty, somehow meaning the manufacturer doesn't trust them after 3 years either!

I wouldn't even use a brand new meh 700W PSU to power a 3080. I would get a good quality 750W or even 850W PSU with 4 main PCIE power outputs, where you can connect the three 8-pin on the card directly to PSU outputs, no branches. More importantly a PSU that can handle the power spikes of a 3080 without issues (restarts and crashes etc).

Solution