[SOLVED] Is my PSU dead/faulty or am I missing something?

LoyalSaint9

Reputable
Oct 18, 2019
Yesterday morning, I was playing games with my friends and everything was fine. A couple hours later, I disassemble my tower completely (was putting everything into a new tower I had recently bought) and once I got everything in place, I plugged it in and nothing. My motherboards RGB lights turn on, GPU light is on, but when I hit the power button nothing happens at all. Is my psu dead? It's a LSP Ultra 750W that I've had for roughly 5 years. I have not paperclip tested it yet, but I'm about too

Solution
Being that the PSU is 5 years old along with the above stated test results leads me to the conclusion that the PSU is at EOL (End of Life).

No harm in using the multimeter again to simply doublecheck the voltage readings. If there are no changes in the test results then that further supports the likelihood that the PSU has failed.

Ralston18

Titan
Reopen the case and verify that all connections are correct and firmly connected.

If you do not find any misconnections or loose connections then the PSU becomes the primary suspect.

You must go beyond the paperclip test.

Start here:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

If necessary get a family member or friend to help.

Multimeter testing is not a full test per se as the measurements are not being made underload.

However, if you discover a voltage out of spec then that is a good indication that the PSU is no longer functioning as it should.

LoyalSaint9

Reputable
Oct 18, 2019
Reopen the case and verify that all connections are correct and firmly connected.

If you do not find any misconnections or loose connections then the PSU becomes the primary suspect.

You must go beyond the paperclip test.

Start here:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

If necessary get a family member or friend to help.

Multimeter testing is not a full test per se as the measurements are not being made underload.

However, if you discover a voltage out of spec then that is a good indication that the PSU is no longer functioning as it should.
I appreciate the help and quick response, this is what I got from my Multimeter test. "Using my multimeter, I received absolutely ZERO power/Volts from all my spots except for 2. My 8th wire is a +5VSB and it was over the Max by .05. The 2nd was my PS-on cord (which is the green one) and going by the PSU Tolerance table, it was barely getting the min Volts at the lowest of +3.3VDC at roughly 3.1V. Everything else? Was transmitting 0 power or at least nothing the Multi picked up."

Ralston18

Titan
Being that the PSU is 5 years old along with the above stated test results leads me to the conclusion that the PSU is at EOL (End of Life).

No harm in using the multimeter again to simply doublecheck the voltage readings. If there are no changes in the test results then that further supports the likelihood that the PSU has failed.

Solution