Question Is my PSU dead on arrival or am I doing something wrong?

Eternalll

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
I just got my Thermaltake Smart Series 600w PSU in, I hooked everything up, went to turn it on, and nothing, I already tried shorting the pins instead of using the power button but same thing. Whenever I attempt to turn it on the fans spin for like half a second and then nothing, I checked the PSU fan and it just clicks kind of? as in it barely even moves, it tries to but just clicks back in place. It did come with a warranty which is good so I can take it back, but I want to know if it’s something I can fix myself easily or if it’s a hardware mismatch so I know to get a refund instead of a replacement.

SPECS:
Motherboard - ASUS A320M-K
GPU - ASUS 1070 OC (the white one if you go to search it up)
CPU - Ryzen 5 4500
SSD - M.2 Western Digital 1TB
PSU - Thermaltake Smart Series 600w

Eternalll

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
It’s worth noting that that “shell” or whatever on the PSU wasn’t in place when I opened it but I was able to push it down to pop back in place (I didn’t mess it up myself lmao I didn’t push that hard)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, I'd take the opportunity to return it since it's a low quality PSU anyway. Then worry about it if a decent budget PSU also fails to work.

A history of this problem would be helpful. I don't know if this is a build you just made or a build that was working and stopped working. We need to know the whole story to solve the mystery, not just selected parts.

Eternalll

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
Honestly, I'd take the opportunity to return it since it's a low quality PSU anyway. Then worry about it if a decent budget PSU also fails to work.
Yeah makes sense, it’s a bummer though because it took almost a month to get here and I assume the returns won’t be faster, I was just kind of hoping if there was anything else I could test to guarantee that it was dead and not a mismatch

Eternalll

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
Yeah makes sense, it’s a bummer though because it took almost a month to get here and I assume the returns won’t be faster, I was just kind of hoping if there was anything else I could test to guarantee that it was dead and not a mismatch
Are there any other good relatively cheap brands you’d recommend instead?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Are there any other good relatively cheap brands you’d recommend instead?

The Corsair CX ones -- not the decade old ones with green lettering in the branding -- tend to be the least expensive PSUs I'd ever want to connect any 70-class GPU to. Yes, the 1070 is no longer a new card, but like an old German car, higher-tier GPUs don't become cheaper to run when their prices fall.

Eternalll

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
Not anymore. CX 2023 is a relabled CV. CX550 2023 has the same group regulated platform like the CV550. CX650/750 2023 have DC-DC but still double forward on the primary.
So which one should I get, I also do plan on maybe upgrading my GPU sometime in the future so idk, kinda lost here honestly