Question Is my psu enough for my specs? Is it causing stuttering in my games?

Apr 10, 2023
So, I have a 200 W psu from a brand called foxin ( foxin FPS500S is the model). I ran
a GT 710 with an i3-9100 f it ran without any problem. But recently i got a rx 550 and now it stutters a lot in games that i usually played with the GT 710. I tried everything i could possibly i DDU the drivers and also clean installed the drivers. I reseated the GPU etc...Specs below
CPU - i3-9100f
RAM- 2x 4gb@2400 mhz
Mobo- Gigabyte H310M m.2 2.0
GPU - ASUS radeon RX 550 4gb
HDD - Seagate baraccuda 1TB 7.2k rpm
PSU - Foxin FPS500S (200W i guess not mentioned).
So i have stuttering issues while playin valorant but im getting above 300 -200 frames but stutters a lot dropping into the 20s.
Ill attach a msi graph taken while playin valorant.My pc overall feels a bit suttery aswell
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18KK4VHbtPNmt17jcYK2E5Ny6fVAaZDmv/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
System combined wouldn't draw all that much, at most 150w or there abouts. But there's more to do with power supplies than just wattage, how reliable and efficient it is. I agree with Lutfij.

Where would you buy from? Do they have a website?

Psu might not be related to your stutters but good chance it is. It's worth putting in a better unit anyway. Factory warranty tells the story, quality units are 7~10 years. That Foxin psu has 2 year factory warranty.

Another thing you can try is limit your fps to a level minimising cpu usage from maxing out. See if that helps, get usage hanging around the 90s most of the time.

Last edited:

Georgivs

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2015
Stutters may related to the memory sufficiency and HDD using (better to add a ssd for system and games)
It's good that you think about wellness of your PSU.
You have not a cheapest configure, but use (sorry for words) trash PSU. The well mobo and graphcard may work for some time due to good components in power chains, but hdd doesn't like pulsations and unstable power source.
I would recommend to buy PSU about 400-500w from a good brand if you don't want to upgrade the PC much better. If you plan to upgrade CPU and GPU to mid-end (i59600+ 3060) in the future, then better to look at PSUs higher than 550w.

IMHO.