Question Is my psu good enough for rx6600?

Dec 9, 2022
Hey. I wanna get rx6600 to upgrade my pc but I'm not sure my psu is good enough. Currently have I7-3770k and gtx550ti.
Right now I have Cooler Master rs-500-psap-j3 installed. It's only 500w and 70% and doesn't have 8pin connectors meaning I'd have to use 2x6pin to 8pin adapter.
I also have High Power HPC-500-H12S in my old pc which is 500w too but 80+ and has 8pin connectors. But this pc has been in the garage for over 5 years and conditions there aren't good so I'm kinda scared to even try it. (Garage isn't isolated at all so it gets humid there during rain, snow whatever)
I'm not sure if I should take the better old psu for a test or it's just unnecessary (I'd like to avoid messing with it). Buying a new psu isn't an option at least for the next 2-3 years because I'm having serious troubles with money. Spending a little over 200$ for a "cheap" chinese rx6600 is already a pretty big problem. From what I saw gtx550ti and rx6600 have kinda similar power consumption but I'm still worried.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Even if the PSU was bought brand new, the unit is actually a bad unit. In all honesty you shouldn't be dropping a concurrent generation GPU on a platform as old as the i7-3770K...your upgrade would actually be moot, unless you go for a concurrent platform to take advantage of the GPU.

It's only 500w and 70% and doesn't have 8pin connectors meaning I'd have to use 2x6pin to 8pin adapter.
Just an FYI, if your PSU lacks the necessary connectors on the unit, yet has more than the wattage you really need for the entire system, you either have the wrong PSU for your build or you've got the wrong components for the PSU.

My 2 cents? Save that money, add some more to it and build yourself a new system with the right, reliably built, branded PSU.

Dec 9, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Even if the PSU was bought brand new, the unit is actually a bad unit. In all honesty you shouldn't be dropping a concurrent generation GPU on a platform as old as the i7-3770K...your upgrade would actually be moot, unless you go for a concurrent platform to take advantage of the GPU.

It's only 500w and 70% and doesn't have 8pin connectors meaning I'd have to use 2x6pin to 8pin adapter.
Just an FYI, if your PSU lacks the necessary connectors on the unit, yet has more than the wattage you really need for the entire system, you either have the wrong PSU for your build or you've got the wrong components for the PSU.

My 2 cents? Save that money, add some more to it and build yourself a new system with the right, reliably built, branded PSU.
Yeah, I'm aware of the cpu bottleneck, but even with the bottleneck having rx6600 is gonna be a massive difference compared to the gtx550ti I have right now.
It's the old pc I had for a long time and I just wanted to get a decent gpu so I can at least play some newer games with acceptable fps for a few years until I can afford building a decent pc. (Money is a massive issue as I mentioned because I'm a student)

From what I read rx6600 usually consumes 100-120w while for gtx550ti it's 100-140w under heavy loads which is very similar. It seems it should be ok but I'd like to make sure if my psu would be enough to get by for the said few years until I build a new pc or at the very least until I can buy a new psu. And if I should check my older but more efficient psu which also has right connectors for the gpu but can be risky to use.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022
400w @12v so it's not a 500w PSU. It's an old, low quality groupregulated PSU. Not sufficient for any system with recent GPU. You have to replace it.
I would do that when I can afford it. I only wanted to know if it would be enough to get by till I can do that. Thanks anyway