[SOLVED] Is my R9 Sapphire Fury Nitro being bottlenecked by my CPU?

nullgaminggr

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018
Hello.
I have a question.My GPU is a Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X,is it being bottlenecked by my CPU?

My CPU is an Ryzen 3 1200 (OC to 3.5 GHz with 1.4v by the auto OC of my motherboard) with scores of 131 in single-core cinebench and 513~ in multi-core

My GPU gets a score of about 1483 with ultra quality,no tesselation and no anti aliasing at 1080p fullscreen.Is that score normal for this GPU and CPU combo?,will i be able to see any differences if i upgrade my CPU?.If you want me to test my GPU with the Ultra preset just tell me

Sincerely.

Solution
Benchmarks only measure relative performance.

The key for bottlenecks is to see the system under the load of the job you are wanting it to do. If your CPU is reaching 100% load in games and the GPU has a lower percentage use, then yes, a faster CPU would get you more frames.

Or you can increase resolution and settings until the GPU reaches 100%. It entirely depends on what you are trying to do.

Lutfij

Titan
With all do respect, you've only given half the image to your issue. Often times, a GPU can be held back by power limitations from the PSU. I'm speculating that the PSU might also be as old as the GPU.

It's for this reason, when posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, that you should include your full system's specs as well as it's age. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the version of the OS and the age of your PSU. Latest BIOS for your motherboard?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Benchmarks only measure relative performance.

The key for bottlenecks is to see the system under the load of the job you are wanting it to do. If your CPU is reaching 100% load in games and the GPU has a lower percentage use, then yes, a faster CPU would get you more frames.

Or you can increase resolution and settings until the GPU reaches 100%. It entirely depends on what you are trying to do.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Solution

nullgaminggr

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018
Oh sorry,i should have included all the specs(my entire PC's age is around 1 year).Here:

Mobo:MSI Tomahawk Arctic B350 (With the intial BIOS,that doesn't support ryzen 2nd gen and all that stuff,prob ver.H.0)
Ram:2x8 GB 2133 Mhz G.Skill Aegis Ram (CL-15)
CPY:Ryzen 3 1200 (OCed to 3.5 GHz 1.4v)
HDD:Toshiba P300 1TB
GPU:Sapphire Nitro Tri-X R9 Fury
PSU:Xilence Performance A+ 630W \
Chassis:Aerocool Aero-500
AMD Andrenalin Software Version:Adrenalin 2019 19.5.2

The interesting thing is that in a mostly CPU-Bound game like KSP my CPU doesn't even reach 100% While my GPU reaches 100% and lags the game,i have an HD 7970 lying around,i will test that GPU later when i return though (With 1 Graphical Mod which introduces 2k textures)

Last edited: