[SOLVED] Is my RAM OC working?

Alahmed Jihha

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
I bought 2 8GB 2400mhz sticks of the same brand (crucial ballistix Sport LT white) and i tried to OC it to 2660mhz in the bios. I DIDNT mess with voltages, i just changed from "auto" to "manual" and choosed 2660mhz.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600
RX580
B350et2 (biostar) upgraded bios

here are the screenshots of cpuz and hwinfo:
https://imgur.com/a/UXeRJD6

Solution
It's "working" in the sense you can boot with it, yes.

BUT, unless you stress test to verify, there's no way to confirm that's it's 'stable'.

Ultimately, DIMMs are sold at rated speeds for a reason. 2400MHz kits can rarely do >2400MHz at the stock configured timings.
You might've gotten lucky, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's "working" in the sense you can boot with it, yes.

BUT, unless you stress test to verify, there's no way to confirm that's it's 'stable'.

Ultimately, DIMMs are sold at rated speeds for a reason. 2400MHz kits can rarely do >2400MHz at the stock configured timings.
You might've gotten lucky, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Solution

Alahmed Jihha

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015

i will only use it for gaming, i played dark souls 3 for 30 minutes and nothing bad happened

also, can this lower the lifespan of the ram? can it be damaged in any way?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Doesn't matter - that does not confirm it's fully stable. It might be, but it's more likely not to be IMO.

No, running at higher clocks won't impact the lifespan alone. If the "auto" functionality is pumping extra voltage to achieve it though, that might impact the lifespan.

Alahmed Jihha

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015

Thanks for the info.

If its not stable, the PC will restart/blue screen of death? I've run some tests and everything is fine i think