[SOLVED] Is my ram overclock correct? (first time)

anzetek1

Commendable
Aug 19, 2017
So i decided to use ryzen dram calucaltor since i have never done this before. So i put in the right info (ill mark those with the square) and then proceeded to select the SAFE option. The reason why i decided to OC is because it was on 2133mhz by default when its rated for 3200mhz.

--> http://prntscr.com/p32ife (Those are the things i found and have changed, beside SOC which was a bit higher than the app says + i didn't really find it because i wasn't too sure about stuff)
--> http://prntscr.com/p32iuj (Here is a full picture from the calculator without me crossing the stuff i changed out.)
--> http://prntscr.com/p32jev (RAM temps after the OC has been applied)

OC passed cinebench R20 with 3829 score.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 2700x
Asus Crosshair VII hero
Corsair vengeance RGB 4x8gb (rated 3200mhz)
Asus strix RTX 2070

So my question here is, did i do everything correctly? What should i watch out and be aware of? Anything that i forgot and i should change?

Solution
You don't need to use Ryzen Dram Calc to get your DIMMS to run at rated speed.

You should only need to set XMP/DOCP mode for 3200mhz, and you don't have to change any other bios details. XMP is the way to go to get the DIMMS running as they should. Dram Calc is really for OC'ers who want to get the most out of their DIMMS.

On Asus, mobo's, you enable DOCP (direct over clock profile) it's the Asus equivalent of XMP. Select the memory speed, and your ram should run at it's rated specs. This will be much better than what you are doing.
You don't need to use Ryzen Dram Calc to get your DIMMS to run at rated speed.

You should only need to set XMP/DOCP mode for 3200mhz, and you don't have to change any other bios details. XMP is the way to go to get the DIMMS running as they should. Dram Calc is really for OC'ers who want to get the most out of their DIMMS.

On Asus, mobo's, you enable DOCP (direct over clock profile) it's the Asus equivalent of XMP. Select the memory speed, and your ram should run at it's rated specs. This will be much better than what you are doing.

Solution

anzetek1

Commendable
Aug 19, 2017
Right, i have tried changing that to d.o.c.p i believe, and i have just set the frequency to 3200mhz, yet i believe the voltage for 4 sticks was too low as default (1.2v) since my PC had crashed before so after that i decided to try the ryzen dram calc.

To be honest the only reason i bought the 2x8 kit twice is because i saw them being on sale at the time and it looks much better when all slots are filled :p

Edit: The only reason why im making this thread is because i got no idea what any of the settings i was changing mean't i just followed the calc program, i basically changed what i found and left anything that wasnt mentioned to change in the calc program i left on auto. So im just wondering wether the settings i changed are okay, since i figured you guys would know much more about what they should be set to and what they mean than myself.

Also i'm wondering if the settings i didn't find in bios matter, since i couldn't change them for that reason.
--> http://prntscr.com/p33gfj (Those are the settings i didn't change)

Last edited:
A second mistake.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

You are fortunate that the setup is working at all.
For better stability, look at increasing the ram voltage a bit.

anzetek1

Commendable
Aug 19, 2017
My dram voltage is at 1.360v, which was recommended for my settings of ram in the ryzen Dram calc program. min was 1.35 and max was 1.390 so i decided to stick to the middle which was 1.360v. You think that'll work fine? So far it seems normal to me.. Im just concerned wether i've set the other settings correctly :/

Run memtest86 to exercise your ram.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

You may find that there is a trade off between cpu overclocking and ram speed.
I don't know that it is worthwhile to fuss with it much when all is working well.

anzetek1

Commendable
Aug 19, 2017
Okay i'll run the test just out of curiosity and hopefully it's gonna stay stable :) however i decided i'll keep the ram at 3200mhz d.o.c.p preset for now since theres a 20 score difference in cinebench and the voltage increased to 1.350v when i picked the profile. I guess i was doing something wrong when i did the d.o.c.p in the past that made it crash. Thanks for all the help guys :D

Okay i'll run the test just out of curiosity and hopefully it's gonna stay stable :) however i decided i'll keep the ram at 3200mhz d.o.c.p preset for now since theres a 20 score difference in cinebench and the voltage increased to 1.350v when i picked the profile. I guess i was doing something wrong when i did the d.o.c.p in the past that made it crash. Thanks for all the help guys :D
Yes, most OC dimms will run at 1.35v for the XMP profile.

They are running at optimum, and no tricking around required. You might be able to reduce timings a little further.