Question Is my RAM running at normal speeds?

Jul 26, 2019
Hello,

I have 3 sticks of RAM which is 16gb of RAM in total and I found out that in CPU-Z it says that my DRAM is at 713 MHz and my RAM speeds are very weird, at least to me. (2 of my RAM sticks are supposed to be at 1333 MHz except for 1 stick that is 1600 MHz)

I went in BIOS and set my RAM to run at around 1400 MHz but I didn't see any difference in CPU-Z.

My first RAM stick runs at 457 MHz, second one runs at 609 MHz and third at 518 MHz.

Is that normal or is my RAM just under clocked for some reason?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You'll run at the lowest common denominator when you mix & match RAM - so you should only be running 1333MHz here.

DDR = double data rate, so what CPU-Z reports, you need to double (so for 1333MHz, you should be seeing ~666MHz).
With those numbers being reported though, where are you seeing that in CPU-Z? Screenshots would help, as they shouldn't have that much variance at all.

Jul 26, 2019
You'll run at the lowest common denominator when you mix & match RAM - so you should only be running 1333MHz here.

DDR = double data rate, so what CPU-Z reports, you need to double (so for 1333MHz, you should be seeing ~666MHz).
With those numbers being reported though, where are you seeing that in CPU-Z? Screenshots would help, as they shouldn't have that much variance at all.

Here's a link to the pictures from CPU-Z:

View: https://imgur.com/a/SGNQCsA

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Ahhh, I understand now.

Dkqdd5B.png

THIS^^ is actually what you're running. So 713MHz x2 = ~1425MHz

All of these:
HAPJjL4.png

Are the XMP profiles available on the given modules. So this Patriot memory here, could have XMP profiles #1-#4 set - Profile #2 would be 1066MHz, Profile #4 would be 1333MHz.

That's just the information for each specific module. They're running at a common denominator, detailed on the "memory" tab.

Reactions: boju and PizzaHenry

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Memory tab > dram frequency is reading what the ram frequency is running at for all dimms. The other speeds you're probably referencing jedec profiles not the actual speed. I assume you got those jedec numbers from the spd tab.

Jul 26, 2019
Ahhh, I understand now.

Dkqdd5B.png

THIS^^ is actually what you're running. So 713MHz x2 = ~1425MHz

All of these:
HAPJjL4.png

Are the XMP profiles available on the given modules. So this Patriot memory here, could have XMP profiles #1-#4 set - Profile #2 would be 1066MHz, Profile #4 would be 1333MHz.

That's just the information for each specific module. They're running at a common denominator, detailed on the "memory" tab.

Thank you for your help!

So, basically, everything runs normally?