Question Is my RAM stick dead?

hqmemes

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
I initially put together a system with 8 gigs of RAM, a few days ago I ordered another RAM stick (exact same model), installed it and checked only to find out windows is only detecting the original 8 gigs, the other stick IS detected in cpu-z and speccy but not in windows, I tried to boot my pc with only the new stick installed to see if the second ram slot was the problem (it wasn't) but it wont get past a black screen and won't even let me turn off the pc even if holding down the power button for a long time. Should I try to get a refund or is there something I'm missing here?

Edit: Forgot to add only 8GB is showing in BIOS

shengton

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
I initially put together a system with 8 gigs of RAM, a few days ago I ordered another RAM stick (exact same model), installed it and checked only to find out windows is only detecting the original 8 gigs, the other stick IS detected in cpu-z and speccy but not in windows, I tried to boot my pc with only the new stick installed to see if the second ram slot was the problem (it wasn't) but it wont get past a black screen and won't even let me turn off the pc even if holding down the power button for a long time. Should I try to get a refund or is there something I'm missing here?

Edit: Forgot to add only 8GB is showing in BIOS
It sounds like you may be having a compatibility issue with the new RAM stick. There could be a number of reasons why the new stick is not being recognized by your system. Here are a few things you can try:
  1. Make sure that the new RAM stick is properly seated in the memory slot. Gently but firmly push the RAM stick down into the slot until it is fully seated.
  2. Check to make sure that the RAM stick is compatible with your system. Different systems have different RAM requirements, so it's important to make sure that the new stick is compatible with your particular system.
  3. Try resetting the BIOS to its default settings. Sometimes, BIOS settings can get changed and cause problems with hardware recognition. To reset the BIOS, you will need to enter the BIOS setup utility and look for an option to reset to default settings.
  4. Check for any BIOS updates. If your system's BIOS is out of date, it could be causing problems with hardware recognition. You can usually find BIOS updates on the manufacturer's website.
If none of these steps help, it's possible that the new RAM stick is defective. In this case, you may want to try returning it and getting a replacement or a refund.

Reactions: hqmemes

hqmemes

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
It sounds like you may be having a compatibility issue with the new RAM stick. There could be a number of reasons why the new stick is not being recognized by your system. Here are a few things you can try:
  1. Make sure that the new RAM stick is properly seated in the memory slot. Gently but firmly push the RAM stick down into the slot until it is fully seated.
  2. Check to make sure that the RAM stick is compatible with your system. Different systems have different RAM requirements, so it's important to make sure that the new stick is compatible with your particular system.
  3. Try resetting the BIOS to its default settings. Sometimes, BIOS settings can get changed and cause problems with hardware recognition. To reset the BIOS, you will need to enter the BIOS setup utility and look for an option to reset to default settings.
  4. Check for any BIOS updates. If your system's BIOS is out of date, it could be causing problems with hardware recognition. You can usually find BIOS updates on the manufacturer's website.
If none of these steps help, it's possible that the new RAM stick is defective. In this case, you may want to try returning it and getting a replacement or a refund.
Dumb question: Will loading optimized defaults get rid of any BIOS updates? asking because the motherboard did not originally support my processor and had to be updated by the seller