[SOLVED] Is my rig enough for 1080p@144hz?

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
Alright so I am looking to buy more hertz at some point soon. Is my computer enough to handle a 1080p@144hz in eSports titles and in racing game (like f1 and assetto corsa, maybe iRacing). I will buy a gsync monitor and even though my PC won't be enough for it, I still want to buy one to improve my interaction with the computer.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 stock freq but I'll OC it to 4.1.
RAM: 16 gb @3000mhz dual channel
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
MOBO: ASUS TUF B450M PLUS GAMING
Storage: 2x120Gb ssd and 1x 500gb HDD
PSU: Corsair RM550x 550W 80+ gold.

If my GPU isn't enough, will a 1070 be? 1080? 2060?

Solution
You already have the 'ideal' AMD CPU in terms of cost/performance, 2600x is slightly better. 2700 doesn't gain you all that much in game performance. Ryzen 2000 series chips still fall well behind Intel when it comes to clock frequency/IPC. When you want to absolutely maximize FPS you need the CPU to be able to go as fast as possible.

4.1Ghz vs 5.1Ghz out of something like an unlocked i5/i7/i9. They are expensive both in motherboard and CPU, but that is what you would want if you could.

When Ryzen 3000 series is out, you might consider one of them. Estimates put the new clock speeds up as high as 4.5Ghz, which really closes the gap on Intel's locked processors.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the game and your settings, but I would say generally, yes. There are many esports titles that don't take a whole lot of GPU to reach high refresh. Your CPU is fine. (not ideal for high refresh, but more than enough)

For each game, look up benchmarks for 1080p and GTX 1060. It is a lot of work to go through an entire library of games, so I suggest taking your top 5 most played games and looking at that.

Nothing wrong with buying a fancy gaming monitor and getting a GPU to properly run it later. That happens naturally anyway as games requirements creep ever forward.

You should consider FreeSync monitors now that many of them are labeled as G-Sync compatible. You can either spend the same amount for a better monitor, or simply get one for less than a G-sync monitor.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You already have the 'ideal' AMD CPU in terms of cost/performance, 2600x is slightly better. 2700 doesn't gain you all that much in game performance. Ryzen 2000 series chips still fall well behind Intel when it comes to clock frequency/IPC. When you want to absolutely maximize FPS you need the CPU to be able to go as fast as possible.

4.1Ghz vs 5.1Ghz out of something like an unlocked i5/i7/i9. They are expensive both in motherboard and CPU, but that is what you would want if you could.

When Ryzen 3000 series is out, you might consider one of them. Estimates put the new clock speeds up as high as 4.5Ghz, which really closes the gap on Intel's locked processors.

Solution

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Alright so I am looking to buy more hertz at some point soon. Is my computer enough to handle a 1080p@144hz in eSports titles and in racing game (like f1 and assetto corsa, maybe iRacing). I will buy a gsync monitor and even though my PC won't be enough for it, I still want to buy one to improve my interaction with the computer.
Short answer is yes, particulalrly sinc you plan to buy a gsync/freesync monitor.

Long answer is that it depends a lot on the games, the video settings, and what you find is the acceptable ratio between performance and IQ for a specific game...

Reactions: 99StefanRO