Question Is my router overloaded?

brad1138

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I purchased a TP-Link AC1750 (Archer A7) 2 years ago. It has worked well, but it seems my wireless devices are having some trouble with it, especially in the late evening. Google Hub/minis occasionally lose connection and more often take a while to answer questions or give no answer at all. My phone will say "connected w/o internet".

I have 7 wired devices, but usually less than 3 are in use at any time. My Router show 27 wireless devices.
Including:
2 Google Hubs
2 Google Minis
3 Echo dots (3rd gen or older)
3 Fire sticks
2 Google/Nest outdoor cameras (wireless model but plugged in)
1 Google doorbell
1 HP Printer
4 Blink mini indoor cams
3 Cell phones
2 tablets
3 Amazon Wi-Fi outlets

The majority of these things are not in use at any given time. The cameras are only in use when they see motion or I am watching them.

Is that a lot for a router, or this particular router? Do I need a better router?

My internet is 400 Mbps Xfinity, it always measures above 300 Mbps and 10-12Mbps upload.

I do a hard reboot of the Modem/router/switch (TP-Link 16 Port Gigabit) at least once a week.

Ralston18

Titan
This router?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/archer-a7&c7_v5/chapter-16-manage-the-router#ug-sub-title-12

The devices do not need to be "in use" per se.

If they are connected then it is very likely that they are using some degree of bandwidth both wired and wireless. For example an on-going process is the constant renewal of DHCP IP addresses. Referred to as lease time. (Per Chapter 15, Paragraph 3, the lease time default is only 120 minutes.)

As for evenings, your wireless may be experiencing additional interference as neighbors come home and sign into their networks.

My suggestion is to sketch out a diagram of your home network that shows all network devices and their respective connectivity. Include wired and wireless. show cable connections and power connections. There could be a loop somewhere.

The diagram does not need to be a formal network topology or formal work of art.

Just show all devices, their name, IP address (static or DHCP), and MAC. Be able to see the proverbial "big picture".

Run "arp -a" (without quotes via the Command Prompt. Look at the devices using 192.168.0.x. Those are devices on your network. Try to map the physical address to an individual device.

Then use the router's admin functions to take a close look at the network, connected devices, and associated configuration. You may be able to see a list of devices via Chapter 16.

Compare to your diagram. (A floor plan of the residence is a good base to work from - make copies and revise as necessary.)

Log directly into the router's admin screens versus going through TP-Links website. Use a browser and 192.168.0.1 per Chapter 15 of the router's User Manual. (Caveat being that you did not change the gateway IP address. If you did change the IP address then use the new value.)

The primary objective being to learn more about the router and all of its available features and functions. What the LEDs mean, what devices are using bandwidth. What is the wireless schedule for example.

No need to immediately change anything. Just learn more about the network about how it is currently configured and performing. Very likely that you will discover some things that are not as you expected or some things that are otherwise completely not required or mis-configured for your environment. I think lease time is a likely candidate there....

Then address those issues one by one making only one change at a time and keeping the entire network in view.

Does your ISP provide IPv6? If not, disabling IPv6 might help (Chapter 4, Paragraph 3). IPv6 can be problematic in any case. That would be something to consider.

Take your time and feel free to post other questions but cite what you believe is the answer and why.

Reactions: LinuxDevice

brad1138

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
This router?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/archer-a7&c7_v5/chapter-16-manage-the-router#ug-sub-title-12

The devices do not need to be "in use" per se.

If they are connected then it is very likely that they are using some degree of bandwidth both wired and wireless. For example an on-going process is the constant renewal of DHCP IP addresses. Referred to as lease time. (Per Chapter 15, Paragraph 3, the lease time default is only 120 minutes.)

As for evenings, your wireless may be experiencing additional interference as neighbors come home and sign into their networks.

My suggestion is to sketch out a diagram of your home network that shows all network devices and their respective connectivity. Include wired and wireless. show cable connections and power connections. There could be a loop somewhere.

The diagram does not need to be a formal network topology or formal work of art.

Just show all devices, their name, IP address (static or DHCP), and MAC. Be able to see the proverbial "big picture".

Run "arp -a" (without quotes via the Command Prompt. Look at the devices using 192.168.0.x. Those are devices on your network. Try to map the physical address to an individual device.

Then use the router's admin functions to take a close look at the network, connected devices, and associated configuration. You may be able to see a list of devices via Chapter 16.

Compare to your diagram. (A floor plan of the residence is a good base to work from - make copies and revise as necessary.)

Log directly into the router's admin screens versus going through TP-Links website. Use a browser and 192.168.0.1 per Chapter 15 of the router's User Manual. (Caveat being that you did not change the gateway IP address. If you did change the IP address then use the new value.)

The primary objective being to learn more about the router and all of its available features and functions. What the LEDs mean, what devices are using bandwidth. What is the wireless schedule for example.

No need to immediately change anything. Just learn more about the network about how it is currently configured and performing. Very likely that you will discover some things that are not as you expected or some things that are otherwise completely not required or mis-configured for your environment. I think lease time is a likely candidate there....

Then address those issues one by one making only one change at a time and keeping the entire network in view.

Does your ISP provide IPv6? If not, disabling IPv6 might help (Chapter 4, Paragraph 3). IPv6 can be problematic in any case. That would be something to consider.

Take your time and feel free to post other questions but cite what you believe is the answer and why.

Thanks.

That is a lot to process.

I do know how to access the router (192.168.0.1) and I am fairly knowledgeable about all the settings therein.

FWIW, my house is a 2 story box with a 40x50 footprint and I have the router mounted pretty close to dead center. It is impossible to be more than 25 feet away from it, usually under 20 feet.

I will disable IPv6, and I did just update the firmware, but it wasn't to old before.