nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014
Upgraded my pc over a month ago with a MSI B550-A pro mobo, an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, and a GTX 1070ti. Also did a fresh instal of WIN10 onto my Samsung 860 EVO 250GB (The maybe dead ssd).

Everything was fine until a week ago where I turned on my pc and it went straight into the bios exited and right back into the bios. Looking in the case I saw that the EZ Debug LED for VGA was on. Thought it was a bug or something so i just restarted my pc, except now it wont even boot into the BIOS. Shut down and reseated the gpu. It booted!

Everything was fine until this morning same thing happened so I repeated my steps and nothing no BIOS at all. I took out my gpu out and plugged my monitor into the mother board still nothing just the VGA LED. In the process of unplugged everything I thought I unplugged my extra internal HDD but accidentally unplugged my ssd. Only found out after it booted in the bios but only showed my western digital hdd not my ssd. After testing different sata ports and sata cables my computer will not boot into bios with my ssd installed. I took it and older WIN8 laptop i have and it wont show up in explorer or device manager.

Then got and old hdd put WIN10 on it and was able to boot fully into Windows on my pc. However when I tried to plug in my the ssd into a sata port it wouldn't show in either the explorer or device manager again. When I left it plugged in and restarted the computer would again not boot into bios.

Is my ssd dead and even if is there anyway to get some of the data off?

edit: I did swap out my gpu for an old one and still had the same issue.

Last edited:
Solution
Upgraded my pc over a month ago with a MSI B550-A pro mobo, an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, and a GTX 1070ti. Also did a fresh instal of WIN10 onto my Samsung 860 EVO 250GB (The maybe dead ssd).

Everything was fine until a week ago where I turned on my pc and it went straight into the bios exited and right back into the bios. Looking in the case I saw that the EZ Debug LED for VGA was on. Thought it was a bug or something so i just restarted my pc, except now it wont even boot into the BIOS. Shut down and reseated the gpu. It booted!

Everything was fine until this morning same thing happened so I repeated my steps and nothing no BIOS at all. I took out my gpu out and plugged my monitor into the mother board still nothing just the VGA LED...

Everything was fine until this morning same thing happened so I repeated my steps and nothing no BIOS at all. I took out my gpu out and plugged my monitor into the mother board still nothing just the VGA LED. In the process of unplugged everything I thought I unplugged my extra internal HDD but accidentally unplugged my ssd. Only found out after it booted in the bios but only showed my western digital hdd not my ssd. After testing different sata ports and sata cables my computer will not boot into bios with my ssd installed. I took it and older WIN8 laptop i have and it wont show up in explorer or device manager.

Then got and old hdd put WIN10 on it and was able to boot fully into Windows on my pc. However when I tried to plug in my the ssd into a sata port it wouldn't show in either the explorer or device manager again. When I left it plugged in and restarted the computer would again not boot into bios.

Connect the 860 via usb see if that will work.

SSDs rarely die; I have 840s and 850s that still work just fine. Most likely the directory or FAT got damaged by a Windows blip. As a last resort, download a linux live distro (e.g. linuxmint mate) and mount it onto a usb stick (rufus.ie) and try booting your computer from that. You can use its file manager to rescue any files from your ssd and then delete all the old partitions from it.

Solution

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014
SSDs rarely die; I have 840s and 850s that still work just fine. Most likely the directory or FAT got damaged by a Windows blip. As a last resort, download a linux live distro (e.g. linuxmint mate) and mount it onto a usb stick (rufus.ie) and try booting your computer from that. You can use its file manager to rescue any files from your ssd and then delete all the old partitions from it.

I did what you said and the ssd does not show up anywhere.