Is my ssd dying?

Blagues

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
My ssd Does a weird thing: all the speeds are fine but when i unzip or try to move a file the speed drops(to 500kb/s). I have no idea What it is and it can not be the drive dying, its 1 year old. And the download speeds haven't changed either.

timomatic

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
Go into your task manager and see if anything is maxing out while your running your unzip. It may be that your cpu is maxing out while its trying to perform this action.

Blagues

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
well, last Time I checked it was not even running half-way. However This Seems vert unlikely given that my cpu is a watercooled i7-6700k :)

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
How old is your drive and how much data has it written during it's life span? Further how large is the drive and how much do you have for free space at the moment? And what brand and model is the SSD?

Blagues

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

Its 1 year old and it has 120gb out of the 256gb written on it. So the free space is like ~120gb. This Is after I did a full reset on my pc hoping that it would help. The deive is a adata sp900.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Good info. Have you been able to replicate it, does it happen every time?
Ok, this should be a pretty good drive. MLC nand, sandforce controller, and it has dram. I'll say right now, I doubt that drive is dieing(I asked a bunch of questions, cause they're related to what causes SSD slowdowns, and you didn't have any issues). When the anomaly shows itself, you mention the speed shows as 500kbps, but does it seem really slow? When the anomaly shows itself, are you able to get an idea how much system ram is available? Has the system been on for a long time with no resets? Has there been a lot of drive activity?

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

For what it's worth, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Blagues

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

The weird thing is that when I download a zipped file from the internet, it takes just seconds to download but every time when i try to unzip it it goed slow. Sometines it Goes up to 40% withouten problems and then it just randonely drops to being real slow, taking hours to do the remaing 60%, i've never let it going on when after it dropped tho. I never let the system be on for longet then 4-8hours I use the pc to play games and most of the time I just shut it down afterwards.

Blagues

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

You could be right, I always have mcafee running in the background....

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

disable the AV next time as a test