[SOLVED] is my system a fire hazard?

Solution
IMG 4149 — Postimages (postimg.cc)

Using these molex to pcie adapters is not safe as molex is not designed to deliver the level of current a pcie connector needs. When using these, you can draw too much current through the molex wires causing melted wire and potentially fire.

Considering the limited usefulness of SLI in 2021, I would remove the bottom GTX480 and connect the PCIe cables from the PSU to the remaining GTX480, omitting the colorful adapters.

Also, beware the CX600 is not very good either, and these are pretty well known for failure. I had a CX600 fail on me, luckily no hardware was harmed. I know a moderator here had a CX600 fail and damage their system. So if possible replacing that unit is a good idea.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
full specs

Mainboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 4
Processor: Intel i5 4570S 2.90GHz
Memory: Kingston Hyper Beast 16GB PC3-12800
GPU 1: nVidia GeForce GTX 480
GPU 1: nVidia GeForce GTX 480 (disabled)
Power: Corsair CX600 Modular
Case: typhoo pro
Hard Disk: Seagate 1TB

Using these molex to pcie adapters is not safe as molex is not designed to deliver the level of current a pcie connector needs. When using these, you can draw too much current through the molex wires causing melted wire and potentially fire.

Considering the limited usefulness of SLI in 2021, I would remove the bottom GTX480 and connect the PCIe cables from the PSU to the remaining GTX480, omitting the colorful adapters.

Also, beware the CX600 is not very good either, and these are pretty well known for failure. I had a CX600 fail on me, luckily no hardware was harmed. I know a moderator here had a CX600 fail and damage their system. So if possible replacing that unit is a good idea.

Reactions: froggy8
Solution

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019

thank you, i will look into another psu.

so i need to get rid of the molex to 6 pin wires? then use the wires from psu to gpu? is that correct?

I would remove the bottom GPU completely.

On a side note, nice motherboard. I had a AsRock Z97 Extreme 6 and LOVED it. By far the nicest older board I have used.

30a3-board.jpg

Reactions: Why_Me and froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
I would remove the bottom GPU completely.

On a side note, nice motherboard. I had a AsRock Z97 Extreme 6 and LOVED it. By far the nicest older board I have used.

30a3-board.jpg
yeah i really like this motherboard too, only downfall i think is it can only use up to 4th gen cpu but im ok with that as i dont do any demanding jobs anyway.

i tried to build a pc before but too complicated so bought this set up instead.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
It will still draw some power, sitting in that slot. With the quality of PSU, that you have, it's not really good to put more load on it, than necessary.
Disconnecting PCIE power will force the card to go into low power state.
But it can still draw up to 75W from PCIE slot.

Remove it from system completely.
thank you guys, very well explained.

would you be able tell me what i could use for anti static bag alternative?