is my system bottlenecking?

a.ralucutzu

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017
Hello and happy holidays!
i've recently bought an msi gtx 1050 (2gb gddr5 128 bit) and i tested out some games with it.
On CS:GO i get almost the same framerate on all graphical settings and i don't know why.
(Low graphics: 90-130 fps, High graphics: 80-110, 120 fps)
Thats seems to happen with other games too, for example League of legends,(140 fps on every graphical setting) Outlast (highest settings, 60 fps) etc.
My system :
Motherboard : ASRock G41M-S
Ram: Kingston 4gb ram ddr2 800mHz
PSU: 450w psu
GPU: MSI GTX 1050 LP 2GB GDDR5 128bit
CPU: Intel Core2Duo e8500, 3.16 GHz
Can i do something about this?

Solution
Hi,
The term "bottleneck" is often misused in computers.

EVERY GAME IS DIFFERENT in how much CPU it uses relative to the Graphics Card. It even varies during the game. We can ESTIMATE what's a good pairing of CPU + GPU on average though.

(for example, don't use an FX-4300 CPU + GTX1080Ti though a handful of games would have minimal to no CPU bottleneck)

*As said though, your CPU is very weak. It's a 2-core CPU with roughly HALF the processing power of an FX-4300.

Main choices are:
1. Rebuild main PC (motherboard + CPU + DDR4 memory... )...expensive (budget?), or

2. buy a used CPU for that motherboard, AND add more system memory if possible (i.e. 2x4GB.. add another identical stick to populate both slots?)

CPU Support List...
Hi,
The term "bottleneck" is often misused in computers.

EVERY GAME IS DIFFERENT in how much CPU it uses relative to the Graphics Card. It even varies during the game. We can ESTIMATE what's a good pairing of CPU + GPU on average though.

(for example, don't use an FX-4300 CPU + GTX1080Ti though a handful of games would have minimal to no CPU bottleneck)

*As said though, your CPU is very weak. It's a 2-core CPU with roughly HALF the processing power of an FX-4300.

Main choices are:
1. Rebuild main PC (motherboard + CPU + DDR4 memory... )...expensive (budget?), or

2. buy a used CPU for that motherboard, AND add more system memory if possible (i.e. 2x4GB.. add another identical stick to populate both slots?)

CPU Support List: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G41M-S/index.asp#CPU

Look for Core2 Quad CPU's on EBay maybe (higher frequency better). You may find them for $10. I saw a Q9650 for $50.

Solution