Is my Windows 10 OEM?

Pittzo

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
Hello, I bought a pre-built gaming PC from Newegg (the seller) and ABS Computer Technologies being the manufacturer (and yes, I know I should've just built the PC myself and I regret buying it pre-built :p however, the price of the computer was marginally more expensive then just buying all the parts and building the computer myself, thus why I bought it pre-built). Anyhow, I'm trying to figure out if my Windows 10 is therefore considered OEM or retail? I want to upgrade my PC sometime in the future by swapping out the GPU, CPU, and Motherboard, but I can't figure out if my Windows 10 is OEM or retail, and if I'll be able to avoid buying a new license for Windows 10. I'd be keeping all the other components obviously (SSD/HDD/RAM/etc.) because I'm just upgrading and not completely building a new system.

Specs:
Motherboard - ASRock H110-HDS
CPU - Intel i3-6100 3.7GHz
CPU Cooler - Stock
GPU - EVGA GTX 950
RAM - 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black (Came w/ 1 x 8GB stick, added another)
SSD - PNY 240GB (Came w/ computer; boot drive, and main drive of the computer where OS and such are kept)
HDD - Seagate FireCuda 1TB Internal Hard Drive (Added because 240GB is minimal for a gaming PC)
Optical Drive - Asus DVD RW
Operating System - Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

Upgrade:
Motherboard - MSI Z170A Krait Gaming
CPU - i5 6500 3.2 GHz
GPU - Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

(I have looked at the other threads asking about this question, but they don't seem to have helped in my understanding of my question, which is why I created a new thread)

Solution
Yes, it's OEM. With Windows 10, Microsoft creates (using a formula unknown to us common folks) a digital license matching Windows to your computer's components. The digital license is great since you can do all the fresh reinstalls of Windows that you want to do, and your computer will automatically re-activate the license.
The problem comes when you change components that mess with their formula for identifying the computer. I've successfully changed/added SSDs, hard drives, coolers, and optical drives with no problem. But I suspect changing the motherboard and/or the CPU may not allow an automatic reactivation.
But you can always call and argue your case that it's just an upgrade or replacement for bad parts, and you're likely to...

rchris

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
Yes, it's OEM. With Windows 10, Microsoft creates (using a formula unknown to us common folks) a digital license matching Windows to your computer's components. The digital license is great since you can do all the fresh reinstalls of Windows that you want to do, and your computer will automatically re-activate the license.
The problem comes when you change components that mess with their formula for identifying the computer. I've successfully changed/added SSDs, hard drives, coolers, and optical drives with no problem. But I suspect changing the motherboard and/or the CPU may not allow an automatic reactivation.
But you can always call and argue your case that it's just an upgrade or replacement for bad parts, and you're likely to get a pass.

Solution
yeah, it will be an OEM license, so when changing the motherboard, chances are Windows will treat your new system as a new computer and will require a new license for activation.

You might be able to get resolution by calling Microsoft Support and explaining the situation to them. Not sure if they'll help or not but it should be worth the call.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its OEM status doesn't mean a lot though, if you follow the instructions on this page right now, before you swap anything, you can use the same licence on your next PC

Provided you use a new copy of win 10 when you install, you can move the licence over pretty easy. Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and it will guarantee you have latest version