[SOLVED] Is Netgear Armor Security Worth it?

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
In late December, I setup a Netgear Orbi RBK852 wireless networking system in my house. The free trial period for the Armor Security feature has expired. I did my research on the feature and it seems to be similar to an anti-virus program designed for the Netgear Wi-Fi system. I am not an expert on all of the Wi-Fi networking technology. I don't do a lot of Internet related stuff on my smartphone and I do not travel much if that helps. Is it worth paying the nearly $70 annual fee for this security feature or would my Trend Micro anti-virus software be good enough? I would appreciate the assistance of anyone who is very knowledgeable about Wi-Fi networking technology who could answer this question.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Anything router based is a waste of money.

Almost all traffic is now encrypted so the router will at best see IP addresses. It can not see what you or any virus is actually doing. It might be able to limit some small list of IP addresses but most browsers have those lists already.

In general almost all stuff is trying to trick you into running something. There really is not much any software can do if you actually install software yourself even if you don't know you shouldn't have. Its been a very long time since there has been a actual virus. Almost everything else is some form of malware that the user allows to run in some way.

The microsoft security is good enough for most people. You can run something like...
Anything router based is a waste of money.

Almost all traffic is now encrypted so the router will at best see IP addresses. It can not see what you or any virus is actually doing. It might be able to limit some small list of IP addresses but most browsers have those lists already.

In general almost all stuff is trying to trick you into running something. There really is not much any software can do if you actually install software yourself even if you don't know you shouldn't have. Its been a very long time since there has been a actual virus. Almost everything else is some form of malware that the user allows to run in some way.

The microsoft security is good enough for most people. You can run something like malwarebytes manually a couple times a week if you are concerned. Pretty much the most the people who are having issues are doing high risk things like torrent stolen software. They run things that are not the actual programs they are attempting to steal.

Solution